4Age Starter Problem !!

corollaart

Hi Lads

Starter is wired as per sam q suggested http://www.sq-engineering.com/index.php/tech-articles/relay-upgrade-for-a-starter-motor

The problem is that it has 13.8 volts on terminal 30 ignition on.when you hit start it drops to 3.9 volts.

So i tryed the solenoid wire same thing .

From what i under stand is that it will need 12 volts at solenoid to work ??

Next i hooked battery from my ute on it same result.

I did bench test the starter seemed to do every thing right,

I may need to pull it out and check voltage drop when its loaded up ??

Any sugestions as I'm out of tricks!!!Banjo. :doh:

Rob

Members dont see this ad
The problem is that it has 13.8 volts on terminal 30 ignition on.when you hit start it drops to 3.9 volts.

Not quite so simple..

Don't forget that a voltmeter won't read the same voltage at the relay once the relay is working. It reads 12V when a circuit is not connected, but when current is flowing the voltage drops according to the resistance of the stuff in the circuit.

The initial current required to move the solenoid is far higher than that required to hold it in place. Thus, many solenoids have dual coils, one to move, and the other to hold. Thus, you may get say a 15 amp 1/2 second pulse, followed by a steady 2 amps.

So if the solenoid resistance is about 4ohms, then 12V will drop 8V to your 4V with 2 amps current. Grab your multimeter and measure the resistance at the solenoid terminal.

What was the original problem with the starter?? Does it start now?

Thanks Dave and Keith

The problem started years ago with battery in the boot (because race car )the old 4k would struggle to start .

So i tried sam q sugestion of relay and it worked .

Having moved on to 4a thought it would be all the same no real change in the wiring to the starter.

So today i grabed a big ass truck battery from work and it seems to have solved the problem it turns over very well.

So thats one off the list just another 20 or so to go!!!!!

thanks rob