Bolt On Brake Upgrade To Existing Ke55 Strut (Without Replacing)

gtnickk

Hi guys

Looking into doing a brake Upgrade on my Ke55, found heaps of information.

The problem is i have my ride height right and want to maintain the factory Strut. Is there a bolt on option, or little modification to basically unbolt the old brakes on my car throw them over my shoulder and Bolt bigger Brakes on.

I don't want to use Hopper Stoppers etc:

Also I'm running 15x7 rims. So have plenty of space. I like the Idea of the Pug setup but don't want to mix and match struts.

any ideas or can some one point me in the right direction to a step by step guide.

Many thanks Nick

Members dont see this ad

If you stay Toyota, and go with larger vented rotors & calipers off any of the Corona, Celica, Cressida lines, you will need the larger hubs, which only come on struts designed for bigger cars than the Corolla. Because the mounting & pivot points for inner end of LCAs, and strut top mounting are fixed, it's important that you get a strut, which is not going to introduce positive camber issues. You want a strut, that has a KPI angle either equal too, or less than your existing Corolla strut. That's why the Corona XT-130 & XT-132 struts are so popular. With 15 x 7 rims you shouldn't have any issues fitting a bigger caliper in there. Don't forget, you will probably have to upgrade your brake MC, to move enough fluid into the larger volume caliper cylinders.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Nick,

Don't think you will need the LCAs of the Corona. Believe they are the same length as the LCAs on your KE55. The ball joint on the LCA is also the same. Plenty of threads on Rollaclub site, with details of the XT130/132 strut upgrade. Have a search.

Cheers Banjo

If you want to use the original KE30/KE55 struts then you can bolt on RX4 calipers. Larger piston, and larger surface area on the pads. Same bolt spacing, but the bolt holes on the strut need to be drilled out bigger. Need to adapt Toyota brake lines to connect to calipers. Also the hub bolts hit the caliper bracket during rotation, so need to file a combination of the two down to get 2mm clearance.

• 3 weeks later...