Hey guys sitting with a problem my side of the world.

currently My rolla 1300 4k with normal 2 barrel carby, is running on what we call 95 LRP (lead replacement petrol)(red in color), now they are slowly getting rid of this LRP fuel as the demand is not that big anymore.

What do I need to do to change to the fuel that is now everywhere 97 unleaded(green in color).

set the timing, change the valve seats...and the list goes on and on as I asked around and the were some of the responses I got.

please help guys.

Members dont see this ad

I doubt you will need to do anything. Possibly adjust the timing, but probably not even that. Just give it a treat and do a usual tune.

The valve seats are already hardened so changing to a non lead alternative won't cause any valve seat recession

Hi Naim,

Parrot is spot on, and you'll be glad to learn that Toyota fitted hardened valve seats way back then. A good tune on the new fuel will be all you need. Change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in a while.

Take out the spark plugs, and replace, or give them a good clean, and gap setting. (0.8mm) Take note of the colour of the insulator & tip of the spark plug, directly after a good long run.. It will tell you whether the car is running rich or lean, or just right.

The most important setting is the timing & advance mechanism. If you've got a couple of hours, and have the inclination, then remove the distributor & remove the breaker mounting plate & check the advance bob weight pivots & springs. A place that rarely gets serviced, but can have a great effect upon performance, if everything down there is dry & not free moving. Don't forget to check the vacuum advance bellows, by removing rubber tube from carby, & sucking, to ensuring the breaker plate moves.

All simple things, but can make a big difference.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

thanks guys car has bee fully serviced in March but I will have to check out that advance bob weight pivots & springs i don't think I did that since I had the car. will run this tank empty and fill up on unleaded the end of the month and let you know what adjustments I will make to make her run smoothly. :rocknroll: