5K Solid Lifters - Simple Idea

Viterbo

Members dont see this ad

The motor was built from the ground up and i received it in pretty bad condition so the option to keep the hydro lifters wasn't really applicable to me. Also i didn't want another moving part in that system of the motor to break as it revs to 9000rpm most days (to keep up with traffic haha).

I know hydro's will handle at least 8000rpm - thats as far as the factory tacho went, and I would see tacho needle on its stop when competing

but not entirely sure if you can run a solid valve train on a hydro cam even with hydro-faced solid lifters to suit though... hmmm

I have (which i should send back) one of Tommy's cam and lifters at home, it was reground hydro(by mistake) when he was using a solid setup. God it made a mess!!

Most lobes have been wiped and the lifters are troweled. The ramp rates on a hydro are more aggressive.

RainWarrior just tested gutting a hydro, flipping the washer and inserting the 4K pushrod which gave me 2 issues.

First the washer when flipped seems like it hasn't enough space for the pushrod to fit in the middle and don't slip to the sides.

Second the pushrod will be 4 or 5mm higher than on the 4K lifter...

Try with the top washer seat thing the normal way up. You will want 3k pushrods, or better still k (1077cc) pushrods.

Keep in mind 3k pushrods came in varying lengths.... you want the shorter ones. It has been a while, i can't remember which exact model of 3k to go for.

Edited by Felix

• 4 months later...

You can use Toyota Landcruiser 3F solid lifters and the early 4k short pushrods.

More relevant to your question tho, when i just recently built my 5k we just took the hydro lifters out, gutted them turned them upside down and popped them in.

Car still goes.

Hi Mate, Have you got any photos of the 5K Hyro lifter modification?

I will just throw spanner in the works...

I always wanted to get a K block cut a key way in lifter bore. Key a roller lifter from a chev engine get a cam made to suit roller lifters and then install.....

I once also ran a hydro cam on a solid lifter...once....I got 1km up the road dead engine.....