Ke55 / Ke70 Gurus... Some Front Brake Questions

Hi guys,

so I'm wanting to do the upgrade from this article http://www.rollaclub...rake_Conversion

with KE55 / KE70 brakes

I have trolled through the forums & read what ever tech articles here I could find & checked the wiki section. But I'm wanting info first hand from those KE55 & KE70 gurus here.

Firstly, I'm in NZ & as far as I know the KE55 never came here. So I'm on the hunt for KE70 discs/calipers in nz atm - the wiki article says the KE55 &KE70 take the same brakes but have different backing plates & caliper mount brackets.

So I'm trying to source rotors/hubs + calipers here in NZ (shipping from AU would be a killer with the weight)

But after KE55 backing plates & caliper brackets, likely from Aussie - i have posted a WTB post.

from research ive found, NZ listings say the KE70 has 3 size options on Brake Rotors.

And someone has said that the KE55 can come with 2 options of brake set up, Girling or Sumitomo?

can anyone clear this up for me or offer some info / advice?

tbh I don't know a heap about these later model corollas..... I'm wanting to get all my ducks in a row before I buy any bits...

Members dont see this ad

Stock from factory: (Work in progress, so feel free to add anything...will update/correct as needed)

Car: Caliper: Rotor: Hub: Stub Flange: Backing Plate Bolts: Inner Bearing: Outer Bearing:

ke1x drum 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

sumito 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

akebono 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

ke2x drum 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

sumito 200x10 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

akebono 200x10 110x4 85x4 85x4 M8

ke3x sumito 200x10 114.3x4 85x4 85x4 M8

akebono 200x10 114.3x4 85x4 85x4 M8

ke5x girlock 218x10 114.3x4 85x4 85x4 M10x1.25

ke7x girlock 218x12 114.3x4 85x4(3only) 85x4(3 only) M10x1.25

Will have to paste some sort of table... The editor keeps messing up the spacing

Edited by styler

thanks for the info....

ive been advised in nz to stay away from KE55 stuff. I'm not familiar with it to start but wanted to look at it combine with KE70 for an upgrade.

Does anyone know of a similar upgrade thats done with minimal mods, KE10 brake upgrade

similar to the wiki KE70/KE55 upgrade?

http://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ke10_Disk_Brake_Conversion

I can't imagine why they would tell you that. What reason did they give?

just said that they are PBR, built in Australia & very odd ball in NZ. He recommended KE20 brakes or starlet.

But I feel what I'm wanting to do (upgrade in the wiki ke10 upgrade), is pretty basic. And gives me 114.3mm pcd which I want.

I'm just wanting to use KE55 backing plates & caliper brackets.

In saying that, Ive since found out replacement KE70 rotors are discontinued. I had originally thought buying new rotors would be no issue.

That and some suppliers have told me the KE70 takes 1 of 3 size rotors, but all NLA.

I want a nice simple upgrade like in the wiki guide, but don't want issues with replacement rotors

Seriously, virtually anything you need to source is going to be discontinued. Why go for smaller KE20 stuff which is even older and harder to find.

Rotors, pads and caliper rebuild kits are readily available on ebay for 55 - 70's. And will likely continue to be so for some time. They are also cheap, so if really worried, just stockpile a spare set.

In the modern internet world we live in, PBR, built in Australia & very oddball in NZ is a nonsense reason not to use a proven effective & simple upgrade.

Ypu won't find anything simpler and as effective as the wiki guide.

Anything else is going to be a major exercise and out of proportion to what you need.

Yeah I agree.

I'm all about sourcing what ever I need overseas. But not so keen on brake rotors overseas, the shipping wont be pretty.

I still like my original plan, try to source KE55 backing plates & caliper mounts in AU & source KE70 hub/rotor & calipers here in NZ.

I'll do some hunting.

.... if anyone can help with the parts I need!??

Parrot, a fella on here said he has some spares from a KE55, not everything I'm needing but says he has sumitomo brakes left from his KE55 bits & can sell just the backing plates.

Ive no clue about the different types other than there are options, would you (or anyone reading..) know if the backing plates are the same for all KE55s with various brake types?

If they are & I can safely buy them to gather bits for the conversion, I can get them & continue on the hunt for caliper mount brackets.... Fingers crossed.