Hi all, I have two issues with my 87 Toyota Corolla "Ke74" that I am fairly certain are drivetrain related.

This is a T40 gearbox. When I bought the car 6 months ago the seller told me the clutch had recently been replaced with a new heavy duty unit.

Firstly: In 4th gear, there is a rattling sound under load, ie, accelerating up hills, or decelerating downhill (no accelerator). The sound stops when the clutch is depressed even slightly.

Secondly: When shifting on a bumpy road, the bumps can be felt within the transmission. It is like the the internals of the transmission are moving, blocking me from shifting into gear. This one really has me scratching my head.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ragify

Members dont see this ad

If your transmission mount and engine mounts are totally worn out, the engine and tranny can bounce around together and make you miss a shift, Ive had that happen, but the first problem sounds like an issue you need to remove the gearbox to check. If theres nothing obviously wrong with the clutch then its most likely something internal to the box, maybe bearings or something has worn and come loose from its position. Its hard to say very odd symptoms. Most serious tranny problems just result in failure.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Tranny mounts are solid, haven't checked engine mounts but they should be fairly solid also, as I haven't had any symptoms that point to them. The driveshaft has about 1/8th turn of play in it but I am fairly certain that's normal? I'm pointing fingers at a bearing somewhere... could even be wear in the diff. It's hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from when you're driving so who knows... it's not really causing me any issues other than shifting being a bit awkward going over bumps sometimes, but would like to find what it is before something fails completely.

Cheers for the input.