Ke20 Colour Code Help?

MickyZ

Hey everyone, I've recently bought a 74 ke20 and i need to get some paint made up. The engine bay says its M2. But I can't seem to find any more info on the colour. I Went to supercheap to see if they could make up a can for now but their system didn't have the code for the formula. Sorry about the picture sizes.

Here's the plate with the code:

27735984531_48bcaa5694_o.jpg

Photo of the paint

27852001236_ac3fe4f8a1_o.jpg

Any help would help me heaps. Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Hey, Thanks, I went through that site with no luck. Thanks heaps though.

Makes me wonder if that ID plate is even real :/

Can't find anything with that code at all..

I can find 2 other colours that are orange that look similar with different codes.

308 - Brilliant Persimmon

toyota_corolla_71_308_19.jpg?random=1470529364

JW - Big Bad Orange - Toyota Australia code.

can't find a pic of big bad orange though..

2r4h92o.jpg

Found this site too if anyone needs help with colors.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1974&manuf=Toyota&info=&page=1

But still no luck. I called Autoone and they're going to contact their paint supplier and get back to me.

Try getting in touch with the last owner to see if it was resprayed and if so what colour, because to my knowledge the engine bay should be the same colour as the outside of the car so the whole thing could be a non stock colour too. There was a colour in the later 70s called fireball that was deisgnated as M4 so it could be a precursor to that particular shade as well. Instead of the codes try looking at the years the colours were made in the charts to narrow it down if theyve written it wrong on the plate

There's a car paint place in Perth that has a colour meter thingo they rest on the paint to get the colour mix and then they mix a rattle can using this formula. I've used them once and it was perfect. I'm sure you can find this in any city.

I think the plate is correct, The frame number matches the one that's on the firewall. I wonder if anyone else has this colour and what their colour code is.

The guy I bought the car from said the paint is completely original and has owned the car for the last 12 years. I replaced the carpet in the car and I haven't seen any traces of any other colour. It looks original too besides the stupid engine bay with the crappy sparkles haha. He said when he swapped the motor for a 4k he painted the engine bay like that :/ The closest one I can match it with is that Brilliant Persimmon colour.

I'll see what the guys at Autoone can do for me. If not, a few people at work have told me of a place about 15mins away from me that has a spectrometer. I might have to do that, all I really wanted was a rattle can to touch up some spots and apparently this place does pressure packs too so that's good.

Hopefully get it sorted soon. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help everyone

• 3 months later...

As posted to a thread on KE10/11 colours...and with further great fear of the wrath of the forum admin; we've (our company - Toyota Heritage) been doing a heap of research into AMI paint codes and colours, and the artwork of the decals that carried the information.

From my KE10/11 thread:

We have done our research across a vast number of sources including former AMI employees, and the additional AMI assembled brands of Rambler and Triumph.

What I can categorically say is just when you think its all 100% correct you will find yet another anomaly. For example the above mentioned Desert Beige - appears on a handful of AMI colour charts sporadically through out the years...but is probably the most constant colour, with slight changes to the mix, throughout nearly the whole time AMI assembled Toyota vehicles.

We have also found that if a colour was 'available' in a certain year that it was essentially available for the years after due to painted bodies that carried forward into the subsequent year, and where demand was still strong.

Before bursting into print - please remember I am initially talking broadly about AMI colours here. We have noticed that the arguments for Toyota colours are the most consistent though.

Specific to his thread:

In some cases we have found 'Build Plates' such as the one on your car provide colour as either a 'part number' or 'manual reference' as opposed to the actual paint code for mixing. Some paint suppliers have the cross references though, others don't.

Also on build plates; its a myth that they were all riveted on...many have screws in what we have found. Full imported cars have screws as a starting point, and then we have found AMI cars to be the same.

My best assessment of the colour of your car is that as a previous post said, if its is 1972 build and if it is an AMI assembled vehicle - its in fact 'Big Bad Orange' with paint code 566-13757.

This colour was popular with the Rambler Hornet and also the Javelin. That's a 'relative' view point based on how few of these were produced compared to Toyota models.

Our current range of decals supporting the 1967-68 build years can be found here: http://www.toyotaher...xt#.WDJKgvl96Uk

Please note am putting this in the thread for mutual benefit. We hope to get a pic of each colour applied to a vehicle to assist owners identifying their car's colour.

The range will expand to subsequent years, colours and the various decal artwork designs. Keep watching for more - Big Bad Orange is in our next batch after the ones we are working on now.

Edited by Project Sprinter

• 9 months later...

Thanks, for that Project Sprinter. very informative.  Sorry for the extremely late reply. Just seen the message. I don't seem to get notifications etc. Still trying to get it sorted. Did just get some panel work done and heaps of rust cut out. They just matched it by eye for now. I might get a can of big bad wolf made up if someone can find the formula. 

Thanks mate :)

DSC_0943.JPG

• 2 years later...