K Series Head Identification Help Needed

Banjo

Anyone know what engine, a K series head with ID number 39 (in casting between spark plugs 3 & 4), was fitted to ? No 39 is not listed in the Wiki. It is currently fitted to a 4K engine, I was looking at this afternoon, which has a few issues, one of which appears to be very high compression (about 180 - 190 PSI per cylinder). I'm suspecting it might be a 3K head on a 4K block. The engine runs on badly & is "dieseling". The engine is also fitted with a 3K dizzy. It has what looks like a carby without a fuel cut-off solenoid, so I suspect it might also be off a 3K.

Don't know the history of the engine mods, so it's a bit hard to make a call, without stripping it down & working through all of it.

Thanks !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

I had a 3k with that head casting, i found a thread somewhere indicating that it was from a 3kh which means high compression, but it think this only apply's to the block. I hope this helps. Also does it have a Welch plug at the back it could be an early Big port.

I hope this helps

• 4 months later...

Well????

What happened with the mysterious head #39????

This is as bad as Game of Thrones...start reading a story line...get interested in it....and it just stops!

Plus...this made me look at mine #24010-200, and according to the wiki it's a 3K big port "without" water jackets. What does that mean? It DOES have water circulating through it.

Edited by CorollaNut68

Never did get a chance to get the head off this car & CC it, as the Rollaclub member young lady who owns this "moded" 4K in a KE20, uses the car as a daily drive to work, and can't really afford to have it off the road.

She has advised that she has recently had a weber & electronic dizzy fitted. She is bringing it around soon, so I'll get to see what the result was. Sometimes, a too high compression ratio, can work against you, and you don't get the result you expect. I expect that is what happened in this case.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo