Wiring Spotlights Into Ae112R (1999) Corolla

LP76

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd share the successful wiring of spotlights onto my 1999 (AE112R) Corolla.

I thought it would be very helpful, as searching the entire internet for a correct wiring diagram is a day's job in itself. Most folks know about the negatively switched headlights in Corollas, and the associated difficulties in adding additional lighting. A lot of posts claim that the only way to do it is to tap into both the common and/or hi beam earth wires behind one of the headlights, but the following way avoids splicing into the massive loom, and thus keeps the messiest work inside the car, away from the elements.

I copied the following diagram, which was posted for a Hilux on another forum:

http://www.4wdaction...42584&mode=view

I tapped into the trigger wire (RED WITH GREEN STRIPE) on the steering column headlight combination switch, right after it leaves the plug. I found this the easiest to get at, and simply cut a few centimetres of the heat shrink back and used a quick splice connector.

I passed the wire from the switch to terminal 85 on the relay through one of the existing wiring grommets that comes out basically behind the clutch pedal. Again, this was the easiest to get at, as far as I could make out.

I mounted the switch for the spotlights just above the bonnet release latch, as this allow easy access through the removable fuse panel faceplate / coin drawer.

Spotlights are activated only when the switch is on AND the main headlights are pushed to high beam, which is law here in Australia, as far as I know.

I really hope this helps someone who may want to add spotlights or other lights to their Corolla by saving them the hours I spent searching for a correct wiring diagram.

Cheers!

Edited by LP76

Members dont see this ad