Rookie Questions About Lifters

MickCStephens

Hi everyone,

I have a 1981 KE70 which has not been driven in a few years.

Finally got it on the road and registered and its running a little rough and has a ticking noise.

Ive been advised it bay be a stuck lifter/s.

My question is : When replacing lifters in a 1981 KE70 4K-C engine, do you have to remove the head?

The reason for my question is to work out if ill do it myself or not. If the head has to come off, I will most likely have a mechanic help with me it, if it doesnt have to come off, I MAY consider doing it myself.

In the meantime, I'm cruising it as my daily drive and loving it.

Ive changed the oil 3 times and have used FREE Lube also already. Has got a little better, but still runs rough when idling. With the revs up a little it doesnt seem too bad.

Edited by MickCStephens

Members dont see this ad

Hi Mick,

Welcome aboard ! Ticking sounds in older engines are common place, and certainly more likely in a car that has been sitting for several years. However, if you have changed the oil several times & given it a few good hard runs, it should have freed itself by now, if it was something just sticking. The 4K-Cs to my knowledge only had solid lifters, unlike most 5K engines, that had hydraulic lifters, and these could have blocked up & are not pumping up, after sitting for years.

The head would have to come off, if you were to try & take the lifters out.

I would initially, just take the rocker cover off, which is not a hard job. If the tappets have adjustments on them, then the lifters are solid. If the tappets have no adjusters, then the lifters are hydraulic. (You just never know what the history of an older engine is, and what others before you, might have modified or changed on it)

I would do a full tappet adjustment, and see if there are any wide settings. If the rocker faces are "grooved" where they contact the top of the valves, you may have to have them faced, or you can lap them yourself, on an oiled sharpening stone.

Then run the car, & see what changes to the ticking, if any, are audible.

If the ticking noise is evident, when the engine is idling, you can sometimes narrow down it's origin, using an automotive stethoscope. A cheap stethoscope can be made from a piece of hose with a rod clamped in one end, although not as sensitive as a professional one.

Anyway, give those suggestions a try, and come back to us, in this thread, with what you found, and we'll see if we can help some more.

Where are you located ? There maybe a Rollaclub member, close by, who is prepared to assist you.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Mick,

No problem ! You didn't say were you are located, but I just found your earlier posts & the pictures you posted of your auntie's car. I gather you are in Victoria, if that's where your auntie lives. Disregard my previous comment about it maybe being modified by an earlier owner, as I would think, if auntie purchased it new, she probably hasn't added or changed anything, and it will be dead stock standard.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Mick,

Quick tip you can try in just 5 minutes, to narrow it down, to possibly "tappets needed adjusting". Simply idle the car, then carefully unscrew the rocker cover oil filler cap, & listen at the oil filler hole with your ear. The tappets are only inches from your ear at this location, so if it is the tappets, then the "ticking" should be quite loud. Increase the revs slightly, and the ticking should increase in speed accordingly. Might be a good idea to put a tissue over your listening ear, with a light rubber band, so you don't get any oil spits in there.

I'm hoping, for your sake, that it is the tappets, because that is a dead simple fix, you can do yourself on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Cheers Banjo

I would check every think thats been suggested above.

Compression test to see what state the engines in would be my first test.

You maybe chasing your tail doing every think else if its toast.

Also remember that on older K engines timing chains stretch over time and make a lot of noise.

rob

Hi Mick,

Just for interest sake. How many klms is on this 1981 Aunties Corolla ?

More than likely, the rough idling will not be the result of what is causing the "ticking" sound. Carbies that have been sitting for a long time, can dry out and get blockages etc. inside the small internal passages. No doubt a good clean, with a "carby & throttle" cleaner, or a soak in a carby cleaner bath, will solve the idling roughness. Other issues causing rough idling is air leaks around carby, or at manifold to head mating.

Keep us abreast of your progress.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

The car has 128,000km and was regularly serviced when my Auntie drove it. I am unsure if it was “ticking” before she stopped driving it though.

In regards to the carby, I have had it fully rebuilt and when I had it installed by the carby guy he did find a inlet manifold leak which he said may cause the ticking also.

I am not worrying about it much for now, it has “Lifter FREE” in it now and will run it for a couple of tanks of fuel, then flush the oil again and refill with fresh oil.

Once I do anything ill update in here. I work 50 hours a week and usually work on my house on days off haha...