22R Into A Ke30

79gooser

Hey so the trans in my Ke30 went out and I'm having issues finding a local k series. My next thought was immediately swap from the 3KC to the 3TC and us the gearbox from that, but, due to my rural location, those are hard to come by as well. So I was thinking about putting a 22r into it and using a W series trans with it. Will it work? Will it fit? Is there an adapter kit? How much fabrication will I have to do, and if so of what? Is it easy enough to be worth it? Those are all questions that immediately ran through my head, and I was wondering if I could gather some insight from someone much wiser than I. Thanks all!

Members dont see this ad

22r wouldn't be my choice to swap in. They are a truck engine really. don't rev much. Good for a ute, not great for a small car.

If you are going to go to the effort of an oddball engine conversion you might as well put a 4age in. Well documented for the ke30, sporty engine that likes to rev. Relativley small amd light that suits the ke30.

Edited by ke70dave

22r wouldn't be my choice to swap in. They are a truck engine really. don't rev much. Good for a ute, not great for a small car.

If you are going to go to the effort of an oddball engine conversion you might as well put a 4age in. Well documented for the ke30, sporty engine that likes to rev. Relativley small amd light that suits the ke30.

Do you know where I could get one of those, and how difficult is the swap?

• 1 month later...

Don't even touch a 22r, there is just no point effort wise. I understand you are rural but you may have to make a trip out of town. You have almost endless options for a ke30 it just depends what you want to achieve. For example, reliability, fuel consumption, simplicity of conversion, racing (turbocharged engine).

The 4age toyota motor is a very good option for you, relatively easy to install, push out plenty of power, are light, simple to work on, very cheap to purchase from a wreckers, toyota still sell new parts for them (waterpumps, thermostat housings etc, etc, the only real downside is their displacement (1.6 litre) but they still put out plenty of power as corollas are light. This is the simple, less adventurous route I've put a link below with some useful information about kits to install a 4age into ke30.

The reason is said there is no point effort wise for a 22r, because if you are going to put a 22r into it you might as well put in a 3rz-fe hilux motor which is much better both power wise and fuel consumption. Both would require custom mounts, different gearboxes etc, the only difference is you need to run more electrical wiring for the 3rz.

If you wanted the more adventurous route you have many options, which mainly include turbocharged engines (ca18det, sr20det etc). I would personally recommend the 3rz-fe hilux motor (if you go the more adventurous route). You could probably source one of them where you are, they come in the 97-2004 2wd hilux, some 4x4 hilux of the same years, and some old 96-98 model prados (and in the hilux they already have a w56 gearbox bolted to the engine, the w series you were talking about). I have a 3rz in my daily and they are bulletproof, the fuel consumption isn't as good as some engines but much better than the 22r.

Also keep in mind, you could start with the 4age and a t50 gearbox and then if you get bored with a 1.6 litre, upgrade again later as you will already have a lot of upgrades in place (fuel system, hydraulic clutch etc).

http://www.rollaclub...ke70-ae71-ae86/

this link is a good example of a 3rz in a ke10

http://www.rollaclub...cyl-radial-car/

Edited by ms85er

• 1 month later...