Haz's Ke15 Sprinter

1969 SPRINTER

Members dont see this ad

Hey again lads and lasses.

Had the car out once more today doing some more prep work. (go figure)

While dad was working on the driver side, i had a go at the somewhat wobbly roof-side that the bodyworks had, weirdly, overlooked.20171028_170302.thumb.jpg.9d86e8b7e2dcae3502fcb41930049133.jpg

The good weather is coming back and I'm very excited about it. Being warmer is key to having this spray job done well.. given that we are having steady 20's, I'd say we're on the right track. 20171028_170336.thumb.jpg.bb9f2d4c6cd93133c9d7a0006c26e9bb.jpg

Dad got the driver side looking great after a good rub down. Ready for prepsol and paint.... now for the rest of the car! The passenger side has a few very small dents to have repaired, but realistically there isn't a great deal in the way. Just a matter of time. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Another day spent on the car with a bit of news probably worth mentioning to the thread.

Have sorted more and more imperfections that we have discovered, as well as fixing some of the larger problems too. 

We decided to chuck on some high-build primer in a few of the more....wobbly areas. Then sand some off a bit, etc etc. 

All bare metals is covered currently so that's a bonus too. We are ever-more edging closer to the big day...

Christmas? No no, the REALLY big day

-painting the extieror of course! The primer has revealed a few more tasks that need to be sorted but it's all slowly coming together. -despite often looking the same as the last post. 

Regardless, It's progress. And it's welcome at that. This is the summer it's going to receive the luscious red!

Then she'll be put back together and we'll go for reg at some stage in 2018.

Supposedly my phone's having trouble with photos- I'll see what I can do.. Snapchat-1214978632.thumb.jpg.00b4379d6a2fa8234326f346bc5a189a.jpg

20171210_120549.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, though not a lot has happened Sprinter-wise. 

There is currently TWO spots on the car that need to be sanded, before the entire car can be masked, and sprayed. 

I get my license back on boxing day, so I also scored a cheap Hilux!  Got myself a 1983 single cab LN50(?), manual SR5 with an 18R... 

May or may not have become an accidental project in itself. Has a few small issues but for the price I paid I s'pose I can't expect it to be immaculate.  just some small electrical trouble with the battery not charging. Have replaced the alternator, regulator may be next... testing out a few things first with my stepdad. 

Also, In some other good news;

My trial period at my new job has ended, and they have decided to put me on as a trainee for 2018 in Cert II automotive, as a technician at Co-op Toyota in Hobart. 

Oh what a feeling!!!

So, starting my new job on the 15th of January, about a week and a half before my eighteenth birthday. Should make the whole "I can't do up my car because no money" situation a bit less so. 

Yet again my phone is having trouble with the photos. Though it worked last time. It is what it is guys haha

20171216_100434.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'day again,

A pretty important stage has been reached today, as all bodywork has been finished! 

Very encouraging... as now all that is left to do is clean the hell out of the car and the garage itself. 

A last minute thought was re-drilling the holes for the badges.. I took a front wheel off and then drilled out the bog that had been used by the bodyworks by hand.. from there they could be drilled from the outside and self centered with the correct size drill bit matched to the other holes. 

Sadly, i can only manage the two photos at this stage. However.. I've compensated for that:

Screenshot_20180107-214605.png

Screenshot_20180107-214556.png

• Upvote 1

Small update; 

Got a few goodies soon to be on the way soon!

Most excited about the struts for the KE20 disc brake conversion! There was a fantastic thread dedicated to doing just that... I'll be sure to have a dig through our forums for it. As for the struts themselves they seem in reasonable nic, hoping the seals are intact and ready to bolt straight in. (I've wanted to do this conversion for a long time!)

As for my new number-plates! FOX 383!

383 Is my dad's street address, dedicating part of to the plate to where I was brought up and to where the car is being built. FOX is more due to my obsession for the animals and my passion for drawing them etc etc- it's also a nickname of mine. of sorts. 

And I did need those rubber bonnet stop rubbers, just waiting forthe order to clear. Supposedly they're still away on holidays :/ 

Anywho! Excited for my new bits and pieces to come. Even more excited to (hopefully) spray the car this weekend! 

Screenshot_20180109-101504.png

Screenshot_20180109-160050.png

Screenshot_20180109-214942.png

I was going to see if the guy would separate the springs, but doubted he would.  I’m not sure how people manage to bolt in these struts but there is clearly a way - other than stripping them out and doing a half /half build with KE1x and KE2x bits.  Or is that what you mean?

9 hours ago, parrot said:

I was going to see if the guy would separate the springs, but doubted he would.  I’m not sure how people manage to bolt in these struts but there is clearly a way - other than stripping them out and doing a half /half build with KE1x and KE2x bits.  Or is that what you mean?

I'm not familiar, I always assumed they were the same pattwrn at the strut top amd could be swapped our easily. Nevermind though, if i have to mix and match at least I will have all the needed parts. :^)

Not quite so simple. There is a write up in the wiki about using a mixture of components from the KE1x and ke2x struts to lower the front. And also to convert to disc brakes  

The most obvious issue of bolting in the whole strut is the the steering arm in a Ke15 is 3 bolt, and a KE20 is two bolt, so no direct bolt in. Some have managed, presumably by swapping cross members and lower arms, or some such, but not aware how complex that is. 

3 hours ago, parrot said:

Not quite so simple. There is a write up in the wiki about using a mixture of components from the KE1x and ke2x struts to lower the front. And also to convert to disc brakes  

The most obvious issue of bolting in the whole strut is the the steering arm in a Ke15 is 3 bolt, and a KE20 is two bolt, so no direct bolt in. Some have managed, presumably by swapping cross members and lower arms, or some such, but not aware how complex that is. 

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ke10_Disk_Brake_Conversion

This is the thread I'd found a year or so ago, that's for the brakes which is really all I need. Just need a new bearing for each side by the ssounds of things, then it should all work out!

Intrigued as to lowering the front. Will keep the spare parts in the stockpile in the case of it being obtainable relatively easily!