Haz's Ke15 Sprinter

1969 SPRINTER

Rightio, bit of an update to do.

The sprinter isn't seeing as much work as I'd like it to be, but regardless, at least it has seen SOME.

I was happy to score my new speakers and head unit for Christmas. Not much better than getting car stuff for chrissy ;)

Supercheap also credited me the difference when they went on sale, so I was lucky enough to score myself a few basic tools :)

Had a good day working on it with my dad;

post-19257-0-63954000-1484949510_thumb.jpgpost-19257-0-20702300-1484949425_thumb.jpgpost-19257-0-80391400-1484949358_thumb.jpgpost-19257-0-34217200-1484949283_thumb.jpg

Looking pretty good from here. Much of the bodywork is done, with only a few bits and pieces remaining.

A few days later I got a mate of mine into working on it with me, after we'dgone for a motorbike ride. He helped me remove the windscreens... and;

post-19257-0-01167700-1484949764_thumb.jpgpost-19257-0-08162200-1484949839_thumb.jpgpost-19257-0-13656000-1484949894_thumb.jpg

We did know that there was a little bit of rust on the front left corner of the windshield, but we didn't know to what extent.

Unfortunately, even after our cleaning up, this is a shop job. We can't do it :/

So! Money! Yeah!

We've rang the same bloke that helped with my doors, and in a few weeks we'll be able to take the car in to have the rust repaired.

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I looks like from this point I will be borrowing funds off my dad and work my arse off to pay it back ao we can just get the car done. I think we're both keen to get that thing out of the garage.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
Members dont see this ad

Hello all, about due for an update i reckon!!

We got the car back from Havnadip with the rust repaired and body ready to go! Had the boys there really help us out and to them we owe thanks!

With the car being beautiful and straight, we were ready for paint! 

So over the weeks trailing the car's return, we slowly readied her for the first glimpse of that beautiful Helios red.

Lots and lots of prepwork. Masking, sanding, etc etc.. lots of time and effort. Both of which are a bit hard to find considering I'm now in Grade 11 as a student!! (Money, too!)

One way or another, with the helpof spectrum paints, the boys from Havnadip, our mates from KTM hobart and a handful of others, she now has a glimpse of what is to be! 

The insides of the doors, boot and bonnet are now red! Next on the plate is putting them back on, then preparing the whole body for the final spray!!!

Very exciting progress!

and massive props to my dad, who has done a fantastic job spraying the sprinter. Especially considering how long it has been since he last did it!20170527_094644.thumb.jpg.7681d52ef36eca6cece4aa97f8598cc8.jpg20170527_094655.thumb.jpg.73a0b79006c12b55b47be13f2f8b2135.jpg20170527_094711.thumb.jpg.2359f9237971d582ed4cd8784b510dd2.jpg20170527_115918.thumb.jpg.5229b1de372ba8dedfc79e2a47990f42.jpg20170527_120411.thumb.jpg.c64d5e73da53cfc03af59f7f3cbf76dc.jpg20170527_121145.thumb.jpg.f27d3bcd6f70483f6d27750b831dfad6.jpg20170527_121303.thumb.jpg.2e427990e8b2a8e883df76ddc4a6ef42.jpg

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, bruce said:

Did you spray in 2pack? What brand paint did you go with at Spectrum paints? I went there the other day and they suggested to go with De Beer.

Hey mate, yeah we went with 2pack and also used De Beer. Colour came up really nice off the gun. :)

On 6/1/2017 at 11:53 AM, ke70dave said:

How did you go painting 2pak at home? do you have to bake it in the sun?

Ive only ever sprayed thinners based acrylic, always been a bit scared of 2 pak...

Seemed to go pretty easy mate, we were advised to have a small heater in the garage to take the chill out of the air (as to not effect the paint) and mix the paint using a bit more hardener so that it dries faster. After a short while it was dry. It's been in the garage for over a week now and I am soon putting the doors etc back on as they are now completely dry. :)

On 6/1/2017 at 2:35 PM, parrot said:

And I thought I was the best dad in the world  

Haha, yes dad certainly is being a legend when it comes to the Sprinter.. borrowing funds, a garage to keep her in, (Despite the mountains of crap we have in there!) spraying her for me, and being a legend in general. He used to own an XA Falcon, at one stage a TC Cortina, and a variety of other cars that we only wish now that we knew back then what we know now: He should have kept them all. He has had a bit of practice with respraying things over the years, and the Sprinter is a sign that he's still got a good knack for it! 

This photo of my dad's falcon is above my bed :)
Occasionally, he will tell me about the cars he had.
The falcon, big T-bar auto, 302ci V8. So low that it couldn't straddle a house brick on it's flat side!
I've also seen a lot of great photos, some including some not so great hairstyles! ;) 

20170605_163759[1].jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello again!

Though I'd love to say that the car has been painted; that is unfortunately not the case. Having decided we would wait out the cold weather, we set the sprinter aside for a little while waiting for the all natural heaters to return to the garage. 

Certainly looking forward to it more and more. 

Now, although it isn't all helios T1507 red, I've done a little bit.

The doors are now back on and hung (kind of) properly, I've discovered that my widened steelies are a little bit expensive to bother with, and have my door seals on.

I also bought an entire spare 4K-C engine with a 4 speed box for 150 bucks! 

And just yesterday; I bought a great looking set of mags. 150 bucks, no tyres but being 13 inch they are easy and cheap to come by. 

I also "decided" to leave the roadbikes alone for a while.

(I got caught speeding and am suspended ;p )

That said, I've sold my bike and have paid off my dad what I owed for the bodywork, and have a little bit of cash to poke the Sprinter with. Looking forward to seeing it painted.

I hate to put dates on this build because they don't get met, but I'm thinking at this stage, by my eighteenth birthday (January 23rd) we should see it painted and almost ready (if not entirely) for rego. 

Here's hoping!!!

So today; i went and got a few bitsand pieces to get the car going again. 

New oil, plugs, fanbelt, and my new -supposedly working- alternator. 

My wiring is shoddy but I will have someone who's a little neater have the car cleaned up. 

Also! Some new regarding my new fantastic and gorgeous wheels!

...they don't fit.

They're 4X108 not 4X110!! :,/ so that means i put a fresh set of rubber on them for no reason... great.

Real shame too. I love how they look on her. Have considered a few various options including redrilling, changing hubs etc etc.. but have decided I may as well jsut flog them off and see if I can get my money back. Give me a ring if you want them. (0458-677-210) haha

Next thing on the to-do list is fix the remaining body imperfections on the roof and passenger door. From there, we can prep the body and get things going for one of the most exciting parts of this build...the paint!20171004_173753.thumb.jpg.772bd52149352f837120b0843dd028ea.jpg20171004_174353.thumb.jpg.daaea4bb5fc9a8eaca603280f77308b0.jpg

20171007_153749.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks great Harry.  Just move the wheels on, it's not worth the hassle, and I'm sure you will find something you like even better that fits.

Yahoo Japan is a really good place to buy wheels in the size you need at very reasonable prices.  You would be surprised how cheap, especially if you are prepared to be a little patient and wait for the right wheels at the right price.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, parrot said:

Looks great Harry.  Just move the wheels on, it's not worth the hassle, and I'm sure you will find something you like even better that fits.

Yahoo Japan is a really good place to buy wheels in the size you need at very reasonable prices.  You would be surprised how cheap, especially if you are prepared to be a little patient and wait for the right wheels at the right price.

Wow, you're absolutely right. They're quite cheap, but, surely postage is what bites you on the bottom? 

-thank goodness I found the english option- 

Looks like a cool setup though. Bound to run into something cool. Cheers Parrot!

Screenshot_2017-10-08-08-44-08.png

Use one of the importers and container shipping can be pretty cheap. Be patient, there may be nothing decent or cheap for a while, then bang, there they are. 

Also be careful with your sizing/offset. 

I have some nice Enkies in 13's, and two sets of Weds Albinos in 14's. None more than about $350 - 400 landed. Obviously cheaper without tyres fitted. 

A good importer will ask questions for you. 

• Upvote 1

Yes and no on the wheel importing. I've found them cheaper in Aus than from Japan latelty.. I bought a set of 13x6.5 techno trv for my sprinter the other day, sale price was around $290aud, shipping within japan, brokerage fee and shipping to aus by *sea* was another $390

• Upvote 1

On 14/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Jono.C said:

Yes and no on the wheel importing. I've found them cheaper in Aus than from Japan latelty.. I bought a set of 13x6.5 techno trv for my sprinter the other day, sale price was around $290aud, shipping within japan, brokerage fee and shipping to aus by *sea* was another $390

Oh geez, loads of fun. I guess if I can get something super cool for cheap it'd be worth it but I think I'll have to do a lot of filtering through all the awful ones!

Yup. Welcome to yahoo Japan!  There are clearly some sellers who work on large volumes and bargains can be had for those who are patient. Generally a wider range in sizes you need that what you will find here. There was a guy with some nice 110's in Tassie on one of the Corolla/Toyota pages but he was trying to swap for 114.3 rather than sell. Could always see if he will sell