2Tg Starter Question

sweave65

Members dont see this ad

The answer is that there were 0.8kw and 1.0kw starters available across the 2T engined range, but the 1.0kw starter wasn't specific to the 2TG. Have checked this across the TE2x and TA2x part books. Edit: and out to TE47. Presumably it depended on the vehicle location and ambient temperature range/oil viscosity rather than T vs TG.

In some locations, K engines only had 0.6kw starters.

Some years back I picked up a reduction starter for my 2TG from a local (Wangaratta) very Toyota literate wrecker (he used to rally a variety of Toyotas) who I am very confident knew his stuff. This is awaiting me getting on with my build so I can't positively personally confirm it fits, but is marked 1GGZE. I only actually unwrapped it a few weeks back.

Obviously do your own research, but this may be a better option if going to the effort to locate one overseas. I'm sure along the way, that I have seen reference elsewhere to 1G family starters in T situations.

Edited by parrot

Weakest version of 2T/3T starters are strong enought for even 2TG high comp engine with 2000cc

It also work well with mine 2150cc "2T" with ~4kg flywheel.

Common problems in starter is weak power, there is usually 4 brush and usually one got wear to the end or brush wiring is burnt..

it splits the power to near half..

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the feedback. it may be awhile before I get to this issue because of starting my next project....1969 RT52 2 door corona.....need to get it out of the weather and grinded down and primed before surface rust gets much worse. The other issue I have with the starter is that it skips????or slips and misses the engagement. I know this is probably not good long term because it is most likely damaging the teeth. I will dive back into this in a few months.

• 9 months later...

How did you go? 

I can confirm the 1G series of reduction starters work on the T engines (with the more common wide bolt spacing).

The 3tgte came standard with a reduction starter which is same style as the 1ge-u 1gge 1ggte 1ggze one.  There is a slight difference in the position of the solenoid and sometimes the wiring connection point but not enough to affect using it. 

We often used the gx61/gx71 1geu starter as they were quite common at wreckers.

One thing to watch for is if you have a modified exhaust that is closer to the engine it may be difficult to install from the top or may even contact the starter.

Always put a heat shield over the starter motor as its common issue to overheat the internals from proximity of the exhaust manifold.