Not Another 2Jz Swap

gmm213

Before the bashing begins. Yes I have an idea of the cost. Yes I have an idea of the complexity. Yes I have researched into it. Yes I am still wanting and willing to do it (even if I don't, I am willing to have one of the local race shops finish, and yes I have that figured into budget as well). No I don't want to use a different engine to make it easier (I'm not sure about a GTE or GE yet though). I want a 2JZ, even if it is for the sake of having a 2JZ, and I love the look of the older Corollas

My question is this. Is there a benefit of using an AE86 coupe over a KE70 coupe for the swap or vice versa? Engine compartment size, weight distribution, etc etc.

I am not new to engines or swaps, I am just new to imports and tuning really. I am coming from LSs and big blocks. Ive put a 383 in an SR5, STI into a Forrester, KL-ZE in a Probe, plus just stock for stock engine replacements and SBCs and big blocks and 6BTs into random things.

Members dont see this ad

Be better off with an LS motor as its no heavier and it will sit back better. That said its too big to be legal and all that for the road. So maybe v6 would fit better. Straight 6 is always a challenge unless you want to sit the motor through the firewall and take it off the road or street and just drag it. The real beauty of both the ae and ke is the handling.

If you want a few less hassles put it into a soarer or a cressida as they fit a straight 6 better and have better balance with it, and with the potential of the 2j you'll be happy with the extra tin around you. You can dump a lot of weight from a cressida by removing the luxuries like the granite weight seats and the padded trim.

If you want a few less hassles put it into a soarer or a cressida as they fit a straight 6 better and have better balance with it, and with the potential of the 2j you'll be happy with the extra tin around you. You can dump a lot of weight from a cressida by removing the luxuries like the granite weight seats and the padded trim.

A Cressida was my first thought actually. I know its fairly straight forward and fairly uncommon. My main things are these.

A few years ago I had to sell off my entire stable (8 vehicles and 2 quads). While I loved everyone of them it was really expensive. I also had the room. I now live in a city in an apt. I want to keep the vehicle numbers down to 3 (4 including the wifes) I need a 4 door DD, a crap weather car, and a stupid fast being dumb toy. And I want an old Corolla really really badly. The ke70 hardtops are nice but

I want a coupe of some sort (I just do, I have no reasoning behind anything I ever do) and both the Corollas are sexy coupes. Since my DD can't be one and my 3rd will be for winter and flooding (happens regularly where I live) it will end up being an SUV or pickup.

Unless I can come up with another 2jz coupe swap that I love (haven't found one yet) its happening. The MA61s are ok (I did consider it) but nowhere near enough to trump the Corolla. Trust me I have thought long and hard about this. Its been rattling around my brain for the last couple of years (I recently graduated college and have some play money now).

My question is this. Is there a benefit of using an AE86 coupe over a KE70 coupe for the swap or vice versa? Engine compartment size, weight distribution, etc etc.

I can't see one. The cars are very similar apart from the upper body shell, the KE70 came out with the 4A-C motor over here as the AE71, and the AE86 motor drops straight in to the 4-door body.

For us the KE70s are far far cheaper to buy, so you would have to be really keen to use an AE86. Over there they may be cheaper to buy.

I'm with LittleRedSpirit, the big six will ruin the quick agile handling the KE70 has.

• Upvote 1