New Steering Wheel

I'm Planning on getting an aftermarket steering wheel for my 1983 Ke70 Corolla, Reason for replacing stock on is the wheel itself feels 'loose' (Steering system is fine just the area where you hold it are twisting in my hand), So I though I'd take the opportunity to fit something nice

The Steering Wheel I am looking at is:

http://www.ebay.com....AoAAOSwboVXOvHZ

With this Boss Kit (50mm if I remember, will double check with phone call)

http://www.ebay.com....5166?rmvSB=true

What I wanted to ask is, Are both ADR certified/ legal for Victoria, I know in QLD they have a problem with aftermarket wheels

I'm asking because last thing I want is a vehicle Defect since I need it to travel to uni

Also asking If anyone else in victoria who is using this steering wheel ever had problems with cops/ listed as a defect

Thanks to anyone who replies

Edited by KaboomJohn111

Members dont see this ad

I would be pretty skeptical that the "Nardi" is genuine, so the answer will certainly be no. You should ask the seller if is is genuine and if it complies with the ADR's. Whether you believe them if they say yes is up to you.

There was a lengthy thread quite sometime ago about what turned out to be fake Nardi's on Aus Ebay. If you search around you should find it. The fakes can be pretty poor quality.

Essentially they can sell whatever they like, and the onus is on you. I imagine your KE70 would have had some sort of padded steering hub. If you go away from this to the wheel you propose, it will likely be a defect if the police stick to the letter of the regulations.

The hub ad claims it is ADR compliant, but as long as it isn't a quick release type hub, I think the issue is more about the wheel you bolt to it than the hub itself.

Edit: here it is http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/60006-nardi-deep-corn-thinking-its-fake/page__hl__%20fake%20%20nardi

2012, I'm getting old

Edited by parrot

Ok thanks a lot for that guys, much appreciated

Does anyone know of any good quality and nice looking aftermarket steering wheels WITH a Padded centre and ADR Approved, I was doubting the legitimacy of the steering wheel since I was offered a genuine one at a swap meet for $300 (was fitted to a clean 68 MGB)

Anyways, anyone know something nice looking, safe and wont get me booked, I would prefer something budget-wise but I'm willing to spend the extra for safety, I posted the wheel since It was the closest one which I though of picking up at the swap meet, but I was told (by a good friend who came with me) to first check for legality for my vehicle before buying it, Looks like I owe him a six pack

Edited by KaboomJohn111

Your best bet is probably an AE82 twin cam wheel. They are getting a little bit old now, but you can still find good ones without worn leather. Of course, you could always get a worn one recovered as long as the underlying rubber grip hasn't been damaged.

Make sure it doesn't have any broken pins on the horn pad. This pulls off and is pushed back on.

They come up for sale often enough, sometimes at ridiculous prices. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than say $150 for a good one with minimal wear.

post-4909-0-49706100-1483658057_thumb.jpeg

Not really from that era that are easyish to get.

I got defected yrs ago (QLD) for a real nardi, 1point and 60bucks, didnt argue as had the cop looked harder the steering wheel was the least of my worries...

unfortunately steering wheels are such a grey area and they are the easiest thing to get a defect for, you roll down your window cop sees a shiny steering wheel and reaches for the ticket book...

if you can buy an aftermarket wheel that is definitely ADR approved, has either a stamp on it or some sort of certification, then that is your best bet. Keep the documentation in the glove box. I'm not talking "the ebay ad says ADR approved" i mean some sort of certification from the company.

autotechnica says they are adr approved, this is the brand that supercheap sells.

http://www.autotecnica.com.au/product/black-poly-steering-wheel/

But i dunno how it can be since it doesnt have a padded centre. that is exactly what the cop told me "your steering wheel doesnt ahve a padded centre, here is a defect ticket for it". If you can get definitive proof from the manufacturer in the form of a letter or a certificate then perhaps autotecnica is the way to go?

Yeah thats the annoying part about aftermarket accessories, The grey area about legality and legislation.

I wish that vicroad and other vehicle authority figures have the whole rule system streamlined e.g If ADR says its approved, Show evidence of it and cops can't even say a word against it or something like that

BTW dave do you have a picture of that autotecnica wheel you showed on a ke70, The Autotecnica Classic and Indy would look great if it was Black Leather

Or Has anyone tried Steering Wheel Padding

Something like this...

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/kir-00001/overview/

or something similar

Edited by KaboomJohn111

You could head down to your local wreckers and see what they have. There were some quite tasty 80's Celica ST162 wheels, one of which silverra23 fitted to his AE95. He paid $45 for this.

post-4909-0-88695900-1483683531_thumb.jpeg

The issue is the padding, as minimal as it would have been on a KE70.

I have an auto technica wheel here new in the box with a piece of paper from the manufacturer claiming it meets adrs. It came from Repco. Same as what I have always used. Never had a ticket for it but never been offered one. I think the wheel is a good red herring to distract a friendly yet misinformed policeman from the other mods. You could look at almost any other stock wheel from toyotas up to early 90s before they changed the spline I think. A boss kit catalogue will tell you which other cars wheels fit.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Your best bet is probably an AE82 twin cam wheel. They are getting a little bit old now, but you can still find good ones without worn leather. Of course, you could always get a worn one recovered as long as the underlying rubber grip hasn't been damaged.

Make sure it doesn't have any broken pins on the horn pad. This pulls off and is pushed back on.

Got a mate who actually 3D-printed new horn-pad clips, seem to work well. He got my old ratty Twinky wheel that I had sitting around for ages, leather is completely gone though so that will get re-trimmed eventually.