Power Steering In Ke70/ae71

Madsnakes

Hey guys,

Can someone please confirm the ability to put power steering into a ke70/AE71. Now I know it's not hard to drive without it, but I have read that it can be put in with the use of the ae86 crossmember and power steering rack. I have tried to have a look on her to see if anyone has done it, but can't find anything.

If anyone has any info, links to threads, pics, etc. Throw them up, i'd love to take a peak.

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

yeah it can be done but finding a full power steering rack then having the cross member and then having lcas from the ae86 and powersteering pump from an ae86 and then the power steering pulley that needs to be swapped over to the fan pulley that drives the radiator fan, (ae86 has electric fans or so I've been told all the ones I've seen anyway have that) and then getting electric fan then replacing the steering wheel shaft, (teeth on the end of the shaft don't fit the ae86 power steering rack) when its just easier to pump up your front tyres about 3 psi more and then have thinner tyres for less surface area so easier to turn. money vs Air (free)

While the gym jokes are hilarious it's not really answering his question.

But it was only almost 5 years ago you were the one making Gym jokes in this thread:P

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/60423-power-steering-ke70/

its all doable with the correct conglomerate of parts, I'm not convinced its wroth it though.

Electric steering from an MR2 might be worth looking at, though unsure how exactly they work. I assume they have a speed sensor of some kind that would need to be wired in.

• Upvote 1

Owned big time.

Everyone is right of course, it should be very light. But in the days where everything has power steering and you can swing lock to lock at standstill with one finger, a KE70 probably does feel like hard work. I can assure you it wasn't always so, as iI remember with horror test driving a first gen front wheel drive Ford Laser.

If you have stupidly wide tyres, its your own fault. I have 185's on my AE86 and would never ever go wider. The first time I drove it round the block a few times, it went straight back in the shed to pull the shorter power steering arms off and return the manual steering arms.

As I'm getting older, I am finding it harder work at maneuvering out of the shed speed, and could see myself looking at electric steering options across the fleet.

If you're a youngen, put sensible tyres on (it will handle better anyway), make sure your balljoints, tierods etc are in good nick and get a front end alignment.