Distributor Block Off Plate For 4Kc?

RedvalkyrieOne

Distributor Block Off Plate for 4KC?

I'll be switching to mega squirt MSX3 soon and one of the reasons is to gain full control of the timing. In order to do this I have four 5v logic coil on plugs, a hall effect sensor, and 36-1 crank wheel.

Obviously, the distributor is not needed with this setup. I know I need the bottom half because it is driven off the camshaft which turns the distributor that turns the oil pump.

Is there a nice pre-fabricated cover to fit over the bare internals of the distributor while still allowing it to drive the oil pump?

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

I don't know of a pre-made cover/conversion but I just cut the old top off the distributor and the shaft to keep the bearing section, then machined the housing down and simply fit a welch plug over the end to keep out all the junk/ keep the oil in. was the neatest solution that I could come up with.

there is machining involved but it is an easy 10 min job so shouldn't cost much to get done at a machine shop.

you can sort of see it in this pic

post-11347-0-46779800-1486900424_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

A few guys on here have done what you are suggesting. Pretty relevant if you are going waste spark or COP (coil over plug), where you don't need a distributor at all.

Brodie in S.A. did a very neat job on his Rolla when he went COP.

post-270-0-47298100-1487069788_thumb.jpg

I went waste spark, and just cut the dizzy down with a hacksaw & cleaned it up with a file. No machining needed.

post-270-0-61973500-1487069959_thumb.jpg

Waste Spark Commode Coils X 2 mounted on the block so little HV cable movement.

post-270-0-76798400-1487070865_thumb.jpg

I also blanked off the mechanical fuel pump, as it is now going EFI.

post-270-0-09903400-1487070123_thumb.jpg

It doesn't show in my pic, but I think I found a coffee jar lid that fitted perfectly over the "cut down" dizzy.

Off memory, I think Brodie did a similar thing with a lid from a biscuit tin or something.

However, the idea of a welch plug with a bit of machining, is probably the best solution, if you want something that is perfectly sealed, and oil drip free.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Sounds like there is a few coffee lids missing in a few pantries. My better half gets peeved off when I raid her pantry or kitchen when I need something in a hurry.

I needed a piece of flat thin aluminium one day, & one of her baking trays was just the right size.

A couple of weeks ago a hole appeared in the aluminium cutting deck of my Greenfield ride-on lawn mover. I needed something thick that was easy to cut, that I could shape & bolt on quickly, as I was half way through mowing an acre. Her plastic bread board, filled the bill perfectly. Luckily, she was out shopping at the time, but I did replace it the next day with a new one.

Cheers Banjo

"Your braver than me. Messin with the missus's stuff.......... :rant:"

Yeah, big risk, but my wife once had a Rolla. Her daily drive is a 2009 Rolla, but she still loves to drive my KE30 at weekends, going to the shops & places. Even washes it ocassionaly.

Wire coat hangers ! Got dozens of them in the garage, with overspray on them, & always a couple in the boot, along with a roll of gaffy tape. Only tool kit you ever need with a Rolla.

Cheers Banjo :thumbsup: