Justin's Ke70

Medicine_Man

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 months later...

Well last week I got myself a brand new radiator for the KE70 to fix my temperature issues. Also figured I'd do the top and bottom radiator hoses and a thermostat. Mechanics at work today weren't overly busy as a few people canceled jobs, Asked them if they could do it for me and they did. When running it to get the thermostat to open they noticed the backfiring sound I get every now and again, Immediately they said it would be valve related. They did a compression test on it and it was something like #1 50 #2 50 #3 80 #4 100 - Diagnosis, Burnt valves.. They adjusted the valves up for me and it has stabalised the idle thats been all over the place, Now I'm going to have to rip the head off too see what needs to be done..

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to rip the head off at work today, Looks like I may be lucky enough to get away with a set of valves. Also got the Tighe 104 cam in this afternoon before I left work, Waiting on a gasket set and my head to be fixed and also some stonger valve springs.. Considering shaving the head a bit to get the compression up a tad..

Also forgot to mention, My KE70 passed the 500,000km mark the other afternoon :P

Updates today, Got a whole new gasket set and timing chain set for $110.

Fuel Pump is back in, Timing chain is on and Timing chain cover is back on.

To do list.

1 - Rebuild alternator

2 - Rebuild Starter Motor

3 - High Temp paint extractors now I can get at them

4 - Plumb PCV valve back into intake

5 - Refit head

6 - Replace one broken throttle linkage spring

7 - Clean air filters

8 - Install Distributer

When ever you get a miss you can find, replace the spark plugs first, i not long ago fix a car that was running bad and had been at a mechanics fo 3 years (wasnt high on the list of todo's) and all it was was a fowled spark plug.

All new spark plugs and still had the same problem this morning, #2 cylinder wasn't doing anything. We pulled off the vacuum line to the brake booster on #1 and it was pulsating between vacuum and positive pressure. Took the float out of the front carb and reset the float level which was apparently out and the problem was still there. Also front carb didn't appear to have much vacuum, If you put your hand over the rears you could feel good vacuum and fuel vapour there. The mechanic dicked around with the front carb a bit more and then the rear started doing what the front was doing. Looks like its come down to a problem with jetting/tune of the carbs (fuel). Got it running on all 4 cylinders again this afternoon but the idle is all over the place again..

Hey i don't know if this helps but my idle with the dellortos was all over the shop and it turns out ive got a an air leak where the #2 runner joins the head. So the motor was running mainly off the rear carby. Fixing the leak sorted the idle right out. Good luck mate.

Edited by Corolla_Kid