Smarten Up Your Dash

Banjo

Most dashes look olde & tired at night, with those little 5W filament bulbs getting olde & dim. I quick fix, is to buy a few of the T10 LED bulbs on line. They are now quite cheap. http://www.ebay.com....Qhzotr_c_tmU8Bw

I grabbed a few, stuck three (3) off them in the 3 x "back light" holes, & the effect was immediate and brilliant. The blue LED light even makes the "orange" needles on the meters look new & fluroesent. If the bulb does not work when you first plug it in, then remove, rotate 180 degrees, & reinsert. The LEDs are polarised, unlike the filament bulbs, & will only work with the right orientation. There is a 50/50 chance you'll get it right the first time. The LEDs will not allow you to use your dash light dimmer, but you won't need or want to, once you've got these cool blue LEDs. Almost makes my 42 year olde Rolla look modern at night.

i wondered why the clock back light did glow blue, until I remembered it is an independent unit that fits into the dash, & has it's own torch type filament bulb.

A few months ago, I needed a cheap tacho to do some ignition testing on the bench. I purchased one on ebay for < $ 20.00. http://www.ebay.com....MQAAOSwTA9X62qZ

At the weekend, I had the dash out, fixing the guages' voltage regulator. I noticed the clock assembly is only held in place by 3 screws, & looked to be about the same diameter as the 52mm tacho I had on the bench. A few minutes later I had the clock out, & couldn't believe the 52mm tacho slid perfectly into the hole left by the clock.

It even jammed itself with the little plastic ribs on the meter face surround.

When I hooked up the two tacho back light wires to the dash, I was pleased to find it had a blue LED in it. The whole dash now looks totally co-ordinated. If you are going to buy one off ebay, get one with a black face & white lettering to match the speedo meter face.

They come with simple instructions. Just 2 wires for the back light. 2 wires for 12V ignition "RUN" & one green wire to the trigger dizzy or ECU, if you've got electronic ignition.

post-270-0-86614300-1489398125_thumb.jpg

So there is a way, for < $30, you can really spruce up your dash.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...