Johnny Mac's Ke35 Coupe

Johnny Mac

Hi guys,

Picked up this KE35 the other day. I'm new to Corolla's so learning as I go. I don't really have a clear direction for it yet, just hoping to improve it gradually over time. It's reasonably straight with the exception of some minor dings and scratches accumulated over the past 42 years and seems to be free of any serious rust. It's had a closed door respray at some point too, the original colour is similar but more of slightly darker grey. Running a standard 3k but has had a 5 speed conversion - not sure which type yet. first task will be a decent service I think, radiator is putrid and oil's not much better.

Cheers, John.

post-24906-0-47000400-1489918685_thumb.jpg

post-24906-0-63842200-1489918727_thumb.jpg

post-24906-0-31711700-1489918763_thumb.jpg

post-24906-0-54466900-1489918809_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Thanks guys. The pics are flattering but all in all, I think it's a good solid car that will respond well to some TLC.

Mechanical Sympathy - I just read your entire build thread thus far, it's coming along beautifully! I'm sure your itching to get it on the road. I'd love to do the 2tg swap one day...

• 1 month later...

So the plan was to book it in for a roadworthy, fix anything required for that and then enjoy driving it for a bit and improve bits and pieces once it was on the road...

I thought I'd give it a service first for peace of mind, but the job grew a little. I gave the engine bay a good degrease and pressure wash, dropped the oil, changed the oil and petrol filter, replaced some split fuel line and checked the plugs (which, surprisingly, looked fairly new). Then I flushed the radiator and after a close inspection, decided to remove it to have it professionally cleaned, painted and pressure tested.

Unfortunately, once it was out and sitting on the bench, it was obvious that it had seen better days, which was confirmed by a local radiator shop. The guy suggested I either get it re-cored, or for basically the same cost, purchase a replacement Adrad unit. I opted for the latter, so now I have a nice, clean, shiny new radiator. 

I could hardly fit that up with old hoses and clamps, so I jumped online and bought a new set, and that's when the quick service turned into a bit of a small project!