KE30 troubles

Peter52

yeah when ever things like this happen on old cars, like the corollas, it usually ends up being the fuel system, not the ignition system, also i would suggest getting a new fuel tank asap, cause you don't want rust dirtying your fuel. if you can't get a new tank, clean it out there may still be rust in there but after most is gone get a big magnet and weld it to the outside of the tank away from the fuel pick up, so that if there is rust it works like a oil sump magnet. also get some engine cleaner and rust remover and mix it with the fuel, so that the fuel lines can get cleaned and so they don't get clogged up, it happens a lot more than you think, especially with car seen cars / sunday drivers, cause the fuel sits and sediments in the tank. so use you're fuel, modern fuel is designed and made to be used within 12 months and can damage a car if sitting in it too long

Members dont see this ad
10 hours ago, rebuilder86 said:

Yes the electronic pump should be mounted near the tank, but if the mechanical fuel pump design could be also mounted near the tank, that would be perfect.

Just need to relocate your engine into the boot, and your problem will be fixed. 

Or move your electric pump to the boot. 

Edited by parrot

12 hours ago, parrot said:

Just need to relocate your engine into the boot, and your problem will be fixed. 

Or move your electric pump to the boot. 

i did move the electric pump to just next to the tank and that solved my issues.

Any restriction in the fuel lines will make the suction on the fuel a lot stronger and this increases vapour lock tendencies a lot.
Its not the lack of flow so much that is the problem, its the increase in suction this blockage creates which causes the fuel to turn into air.

OP if this happens again, at very least get yourself one of these electric fuel pumps and mount it in the engine bay as low as possible before the mechanical pump and wire it in to a relay activated by the ignition circuit.

14 minutes ago, rebuilder86 said:

i did move the electric pump to just next to the tank and that solved my issues.

Any restriction in the fuel lines will make the suction on the fuel a lot stronger and this increases vapour lock tendencies a lot.
Its not the lack of flow so much that is the problem, its the increase in suction this blockage creates which causes the fuel to turn into air.

OP if this happens again, at very least get yourself one of these electric fuel pumps and mount it in the engine bay as low as possible before the mechanical pump and wire it in to a relay activated by the ignition circuit.

Tbh, I'm pretty sure it's just a really dirty fuel tank. seeing as he pulled off the fuel line, that would mean that he is releasing the vapour lock? 

• Upvote 1

If the tank is clean and the fuel lines in good condition, and a fresh fuel filter fitted, a mechanical pump is perfectly fine.  After 45 years, it's reasonable that pumps will fail, rubber hose will perish, and tanks will accumulate muck in them. 

Electric pumps are often noisy, and also fail, with the added concerns of wiring issues and bad earth's. In particular that it is run through a fuel circuit relay for safety reasons. Electric pumps are good, but for the average daily driver, probably overkill. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, coln72 said:

When running factory twins, I felt it had a better top end after I fitted an electric pump.  But it was a noisey little bastard pump though...... not helped by mounting it under the rear parcel shelf.

Ahh yeah fair enough, it's probably the "NNNNRRRR" noise puts me off to much :^)

Edited by SloRolla

Just now, SloRolla said:

Ahh yeah fair enough, maybe that "NNNNRRRR" noise puts me off to much :^)

Yeah, got old real quick.  Ended up mounted on rubber isolators bolted to the spare wheel well.  Took a couple of goes to get it quiet enough to live with.

Did try a Holley red pump under the bonnet but removed it as it wouldnt self prime.  Got sick of sucking fuel through the line to the pump.

On 4/5/2017 at 11:43 PM, rebuilder86 said:

how much rubber hose do you have between the tank and the pump?
Was the gunk in the filer black?
If you have lots of hose and the gunk was black, its likely hose breakdown. 
It swells up inside the hose and chunks shear off and act like valves that intermittently block the hose.
this is really most likely if there is lots of hose,

I don't know how much hose, i haven't been under the car yet (I assume the original amount)

There a lot of black (very dark brown) gunk in the filter

15 hours ago, parrot said:

If the tank is clean and the fuel lines in good condition, and a fresh fuel filter fitted, a mechanical pump is perfectly fine.  After 45 years, it's reasonable that pumps will fail, rubber hose will perish, and tanks will accumulate muck in them. 

Electric pumps are often noisy, and also fail, with the added concerns of wiring issues and bad earth's. In particular that it is run through a fuel circuit relay for safety reasons. Electric pumps are good, but for the average daily driver, probably overkill. 

absolutely a mechanical pump is the best, but if his problem is vapour lock, getting the pump as low as possible was my point and you can not move a mechanical fuel pump. that is the reason i was saying to add a pump down low. 
My electric pump has failed twice in 1 year haha. granted, it is a 20 dollar piece of junk and is all that is available where i live.
Also, pardon my ignorance, what is a fuel circuit relay and what does it do to make things safe?
At a guess; I'm imagining something which turns on  when ignition is turned on for a couple of seconds (to prime) and turns off until supplied a signal that the engine is running?

Judging by your avatar, you could definitely do with a fuel circuit relay to ensure your pump is turned off when you roll the car!

i very much doubt fuel vaporisation due to fuel pump location is the issue. The pump and filter are located on the opposite side of the engine to the exhaust in a well ventilated area. 

I reckon Toyota knew what they were doing.  And Peter52's pump is still going strong 45 years after it first primed with fuel. 

u like my upside down rolla? hah

yes toyota did, but fuels have changed since then.
Even a slight restriction in the fuel hose can nowadays create such resistance that the fuel pump pulls the fuel to its maximum point and it turns into vapour.
Its quite common in our old rollas.
The pump can be perfectly fine, but the rest of the system is the problem.