5k Engine for Ke70

To be noted: I'm getting the motor (hopefully on Tuesday) thus I don't have it yet, I'm just pre-planning at the moment...I will post pics of the motor as soon as I get it and pull it apart and see what EXACTLY i'm working with, I've been assuming some stuff

Also, Sorry kickn5k,

- The pistons (I believe) they are the d-dish ones (my bad...I know stupid mistake again refer to me with profanity if you wish)...I will confirm by Tuesday hell or high water
- From what I found this is Tommy's cam specs: 
    Cam Lift- int 293 exh 293 Duration ADV- int 284 exh 284 Duration @050-int 228 exh 228 Valve Clr - Both 008 Valve Lift-Both 431 Cam Lift tdc-int 082 exh 060 Phase <) 107
- With the Tighe Cam (i'm yet to contact them but aiming at something similar to the 104 in terms of duration...270 advertised... and Lobe Separation Angle of 110 degrees because 110 is more, generally speaking, drive able and a bit less lumpy plus I like the power curve of a 110 LSA opposed to a 106 or 108 LSA) but other than that It will have more lift (0.432 - 0.442) and of course higher ramp rate because hydraulic grind.
- I'm not aiming as high compression ratio as Tommy's but something between 10:1 and 10.5:1 will keep me happy and not run too much risk of detonation with 98 octane (I'm a BP ultimate person)
- I've heard Camtech does grinds for 5k's (I will look into that If I get nada from Tighe)

Sorry to anyone else for and misunderstanding, I will use this Thread as a build up of my motor as well
So I hope to continue the conversations and If people can recommend parts like Pistons from Nason and Precision international (like kickn5k mentioned) etc. will be appreciated

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

Clive cams in ferntree gully will do what ever you want with a hydro cam, they did mine and even sourced a replacement when I gave them one too far gone.

All the power for k engines hides in the head, so port it properly.

with the comp and carbs your planning you should make good power, 90-100rwhp should be achievable and be fairly streetable

right at my aim 100rwhp

For the intake ports i'm sending it off to head 2 head in clayton, going to ask to make the port bigger by about a 1mm (all around) then ask if he can do sort of a swirl pattern (I'd bet he'd know more about it...pete i think it was) to help atomise fuel better...could someone please clarify this
For exhaust port, they are getting ported about 1.5mm all around and polished, maybe even I'd finish the exhaust side with some 2000 grit wet-sanding to help the exhaust flow with minimal resistance
Also a 3,4 or 5 angle valve job to again help flow

I think for a street motor trying to get bigger valves will be a bit much...plus money

EDIT: how does that seem? ok or does anyone know better?

Edited by KaboomJohn111

You'll have to rely on the head shop, they should have a flow bench & a plan to port to whatever bhp you're looking for. generally the exhasits can be smaller and more shrouded than the inlets, and 1mm on the inlets isn't a lot.

Have a read of Ost's work on here, he's got a few head porting topics up-

41 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

You'll have to rely on the head shop, they should have a flow bench & a plan to port to whatever bhp you're looking for. generally the exhasits can be smaller and more shrouded than the inlets, and 1mm on the inlets isn't a lot

Yeah as mentioned Pete from Head 2 Head (good bloke) is going to be doing the head, he's the expert an he does a great job

I'll be asking him to figure everything out

EDIT: I will provide him with a 1 piece gasket to somewhat serve as a template for the port job (since porting something larger than the gasket inlet/outlet is pointless IMO)

Edited by KaboomJohn111

Get yourself a permaseal em30 manifold gasket. 1 piece and have inlets the size of a 3k big port.

I did a group buy of copper em30 replicas a few years ago. They're friggen awesome. Don't know if you'd be able to find one still kicking around though. 

4 hours ago, Taz_Rx said:

That'd be it. Don't forget to port match your weber manifold to the 3kbp size too

I'll be getting a Redline manifold, I think (by memory) it's pretty close but just in case I'll take it over to pete and ask him if can do so...I've never asked him to do a manifold (most time I get a Redline one and they are pretty bang on) that said I may have a Lynx Manifold lying around

15 hours ago, Taz_Rx said:

did a group buy of copper em30 replicas a few years ago. They're friggen awesome. Don't know if you'd be able to find one still kicking around though. 

I've still got a couple of these kicking around at home haha. 

EM30 manifold gasket is the go.  I'd recommend a genuine toyota headgasket too if you're planning on high compression. My 5k build ended up at about 12-12.5:1 compression and it blew 3 headgaskets in 2 weeks before i bit the bullet and got the OEM 5kc head gasket from toyota, still going strong. you live and you learn aye. 

EDIT: Also Crow Cams did my grind for my 5k. It was a custom solid lifter grind. Just for your info. 

Edited by RainWarriorDregs

Just got it less than Half an hour ago

It's already disassembled and on a pallet although missing some stuff 
- Oil Filter Assembly (Easy enough to find...I'm open for donation lol)
- Dizzy (but will getting one for it but Need it to work with an MSD ignition system) Electric Dizzy
- Fuel Pump

Anyone know the part number for ARP head bolt for the motor (I've completely forgotten)
Anyone know where to get new Pushrods and Lifters (just in case) I think Toyota might have them

And what is the most comprehensive (or has the most components) Engine rebuild kit
- A set of Crank bearings
- Rocker cover gasket
- Cam cover Gasket
- Sump Gasket
- Piston Pins and Snap rings
- Valve stem seats
well you guys get the idea (I'll get piston Rings once I find the oversize Pistons)