4k engine won't turn over

彬ke30

Hi there, 

I'm new to this page and I'm really needing help!

so I have a ke30 with 4k in it. From memory the engine just stopped going a few years back. Iv locked it away and now Iv decided that I wana make it run. 

Iv charge the battery fully and Iv tried turning it over but all it does is make a click sound. 

I googled around and figured it might be the starter. Got a new one tested it and still the same. 

I unbolted the starter and pulled it out so I could see the gears. Left the power and ignition cable connected then I use my jumper cables to earth the starter. Turn my key and the start pops out and spins overrated. 

When I chuck the starter back in nothing happens again, I don't hear it spinning up into the flywheel. Nothing happens apart from the click. 

Please help.... 

Members dont see this ad

Hi Kevin,

If the starter turns over with the key in the ignition, whilst you have the starter earthed via the jumper lead connected to frame of starter & presumably the -ve battery terminal, but does not turn when you bolt it back onto the engine, it is a good indication that the earth lead between engine block & chassis & battery -ve terminal is at fault. Maybe one of the cables joining these items is missing or cactus.  With the starter still in the engine, put your jumper lead as you had it before; onto the starter frame, & onto the negative battery terminal.  If the car then starts OK, you've found your problem. The starter draws more current whilst starting, than any other component in the car. Any resistance between battery -ve terminal & the starter case will cause the symptoms you describe.  The clicking is the solenoid or starter relay trying to pull in through this same resistance.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers Banjo

Hi there, 

thank you so much for the replies. 

Yuo I have tried both earthing it and still doesn't do anything. Once in awhile you can hear it trying to turn over for a couple seconds.. try turning on straight away but nothing. 

Yes iv tried turning it over by hand and that's fine. 

Please help this is really stressing me!! 

Hi kevin,

If the engine spins freely without spark plugs, then it sounds like the added compression, with spark plugs in, is too much for it. I'd squirt some engine oil down the spark plug holes & spin it with the starter motor for a minute & see if the spin speed increases, as the oil does its thing.  It should spin very freely, at speed, without spark plugs.

Remember every drop of oil has drained to the sump in a motor that has been sitting for years.

If it has been sitting for some time, there could be other issues like stuck valves & the like.  Clip spark plugs back on the leads, with spark plugs out, but touching the block or head, spin the motor again, & see if you get sparks across the spark plugs.  Removing the rocker cover & observing the tappets, will show you whether you have any stuck valves.

Cheers Banjo          

• Upvote 1