Ke17 Sprinter

Jono.C

So i may have bought yet another Corolla for the collection.. This makes 3 Ke1x chassis i own now, With a possible 4th and 5th in my sights also

So basically, What we have here is a mostly original Ke17 Sprinter. Car hasn't been on the road since 1994 and it's sat outside ever since..

It's currently a rolling shell but it does come a 4k and a k50

Basic run down is it's quite straight, mostly rust free and very complete. Everything interior wise will need replacing besides the passengers door card and seat..

It's had a hit in the rear so the boot won't close, but certainly fixable!

The main good bit of the deal is it came with 6x Ke1x chassis's spares.. So now i have about a dozen guards multiple bootlids bumpers etc all stashed away as a "just incase scenario" for any of my cars...

This will not be getting worked on at all until the wagon is painted and on the road, It's in storage now at my friends house until such time

20170430_102855_zpsxh3knl01

20170430_105815_zpslmcveawx (1)

20170430_104219_zps7wj4g5mx

Edited by Jono.C
  • Upvote 2

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

Well as i advised no progress has been made at all on this.. Wagon's getting closer to paint but lately i've been making a few trips to pick up the parts that came with the Sprinter. Made a couple loads so far probably one more to go before i have all the spares.

Making a trip this weekend to raid a ke11 for parts also. Need to cut off the front clip for bits for the wagon

Edited by Jono.C

Thought i'd come back for a visit. Been a busy 12 months!

Ended up buying a house, and have a shed for the first time in my life. Which means i've actually been making pretty good progress on this between other projects..

I haven't been able to do any further work to my wagon as its waiting for the bodyworks so i've been hustling on this instead.

There's a local hillclimb here in october, the goal is to have it done by then. My issue is though i need to build it twice.. Once to pass rego, and then the way i actually want it haha. There's been a fair bit of progression since these photos but it's an update none the less

Car arrived here at the start of December, had to wash off 25 years of spiders and general shit to see what was underneath. Found lots of nos parts within the car, Including not one, but 2 tacho dashes!

25511062_10212337485169870_1783384748_o

25508789_10212338726640906_459450948_o

With the car in the shed, my other purchase for it arrived, a set of 13" Techno TRV's i imported from Japan. To me they'll suit it perfectly and i've done a 4x114.3 conversion on the car just to be able to fit them. They refurbishing and centre caps but i'll do this closer to the car being on the road

Had to do a mock up of how i want it to sit also!

IMG_E0851

IMG_3134

I started stripping the car of anything i wasn't going to use, or anything that was in the way. A little rust repair has taken place and i've bedlined the front end, removed the transverse leaf and done ke70 front brake setup, dual circuit master cylinder and ke20 springs and top hats

To pass rego i've fitted a 4k and k50. Had to source parts from all over the country as it did not come with the original engine.. Now has the early water pump, pulley and 2 blade steel fan. External reg alternator and original triangular oil cap. Has a fuel miser gt40r coil with resistor and a set of wildcat extractors. 2" aluminium 3 core radiator  was actually cheaper than a recore too..

IMG_E4696

With the motor in i needed to mount the ke70 trans. Luckily pretty easily done with some 50x25 rhs. Have drilled the lower holes to 25mm too to allow a socket to be used and keep the bolt heads away from the road

IMG_3841

IMG_3953

With that sorted i turned to the rear. The factory diff will be replaced with a shortened T series with LSD but for now i just want to get it driving.. So i've rebuilt it and machined the drums and axles to 4x114.3

Everythings new and hoping to swap it into the wagon once i've finished the T series rather than breaking it. 

An auto ke10 tailshaft is the correct length and yoke to suit a later ke70 5 speed box so i dug one out of the pile and cleaned up the yoke on a lathe and it's all together now. Car is drivable but needs hardlines and softlines made up to suit the dual circuit master before i can give it a drive.

In addition to the diff all new bushes were done in the rear end. Will need to replace the shocks with shorter gas units when the leaves are reset

IMG_4961

I found a deal i couldn't pass up as well.. 1999 Townace that some tourists had put on its side in a ditch and just needed it gone.

The car had 90000km on it, and had a reciepts for work done to the motor only 6000km ago at a shop here too!

I test drove it and the 7k was superb! Super quiet and couldn't fault it. So for $400 i had a townace at my house!

The best part of the deal was it had a good g52 box and 4 tyres with less than 1000km on it. So in the end i had a 7k and $200 extra in my pocket!

Motor is about to be put on a stand and a few little things done. I need to rego the car with a 4k before i can put this in..

Sump will come off and be modified for ke1x, Cam and lifters removed and sent for a grind and head shaved as much as i can on pump 98. Will be getting all accessories off the 4k and probably end up with a 38/38 weber hidden underneath the factory 1k air cleaner just to look as stock as it can on the roadside

Will be running Taz_rx's old K-T50 setup with cable bellhousing on this also as i don't want to be swapping out gearboxes everything i get a bit excited leaving work on a friday

IMG_2978

25552689_10212338727160919_377022496_o