Ke70 Differential swap?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum let alone cars in general so i apologise in advanced if my lingo sounds bad. I'm purchasing my first ke70 as a project car, the car has a locked differential (which i assume is the same as a welded differential), obviously locked differentials are illegal in victoria however if i were to register this car how easy would it be to swap a differential to make it roadworthy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Members dont see this ad

A differential swap is quite easy with a socket set, set of spanners and using your spare wheel as an improvised slide hammer. 

But you do need to follow instructions step by step from a manual. Realistically the process is the same for any front entry Toyota diff, so look for an online chassis manual and familiarize yourself with what is required. 

When pulling the axles, be absolutely certain the car is totally stable on stands and keep your legs out from under the car.  It's a good idea to put a wheel under the diff centre, just in case

Edited by parrot
Spanners not spinners

No you don't remove the whole rear end. Although that is an option of course if you can find one cheap enough. 

To remove the diff centre, (the bit that has been welded) you first need to pull the axles out as the ends of the axles sit inside the centre. Once they are out, you can unbolt the centre from the housing and lift it out. 

The axles are held in at the wheel end by 4 bolts. You undo these and pull the axle out. Easy. Except that at the wheel end is a bearing that is usually a pretty tight fit inside the housing. You use the spare wheel es a slide hammer to pull it out. Sometimes it's hard work, sometimes it pops out easily enough. 

Put the wheel on the wheel studs backwards, put the 4 wheel nuts on backwards but loosely (too loosely and you get a face full of wheel) then slam the wheel out towards you till the axle gives. 

• Upvote 1

You can just change the diff itself, but I'd swap the whole rear end if I were you.

The whole diff and bearings are liable to be full of metal fragments from welding the diff, from using a welded diff, and from the sort of driving a person who welds a diff does.

They aren't hard to find as a stock item, there are several at our local wreckers, and if you want to upgrade from the stock Borg-Warner, get a T-series banjo rear end from a Celica, TE72, AE86 or similar.

Thanks Parrot and altezzaclub for the response. What I'm initially thinking is swap the current welded diff out into a stock diff so i can get the RWC and register my car and then put back the welded diff on. Do you you reckon getting a whole rear end would make it easier? and if i were looking for rear end from a AE86 for example how easy would it be to bolt on to the ke70? 

DON'T PUT THE WELDED DIFF BACK IN

Why?  "the sort of driving a person who welds a diff does."

You will hate it and possibly kill yourself, or somoene else.  And you will also be a police magnet.

Edited by parrot

Just put in a conventional open centre, same as what you have but not welded. i.e. a standard KE70 diff centre (or complete rear end as per Altezzaclub).

It should be very cheap. 

Then you can learn a bit more about the car whilst it's roadworthy and explore modification directions you may want to go before committing hard cash.

That's right.

You need to understand that a T series diff came in different widths depending on the donor (from TE27's right through to the RA60 celica) which affects rear track and therefore wheel proximity to guards etc, the rear trailing arm brackets may need to be moved, you will need to source the right tailshaft etc.  Do you want rear disc brakes or not?  There are issues to consider there.  Buy a diff with factory rear discs i.e. an AE86 with factory discs, or do you convert to disc from drum.

From distant memory a T18 complete diff (T series) will bolt straight in but you need to source the right tailshaft as the bolt spacing tailshaft to diff centre differs from what you have.  Again from memory, a series 1 T18 diff doesn't have a swaybar, but a series 2 does.  This is a drum brake diff unless converted.  Desirable as bolt in, but sometimes priced accordingly, and these days getting hard to find.

An AE86 T series (not an Australian AE86) rear diff will bolt in with same tailshaft issues.  Usually sourced from Japan, can be drum or disc, LSD or no LSD.  The Australian AE86 has an S series diff unless previously converted.  A proper AE86 disc rear with LSD will likely cost you over $1000 minimum.  Desirable as bolt in and possibly has all the fruit, but expensive.  If you buy one of these and it says it's LSD, check that it really is.

Anything else will likely need modification, Narrowing the diff and / or moving the trailing arm mounts.  Hilux diffs are way to heavy, and diff ratio's a potential problem (unsuited to a revvy motor).  There is a skyline diff option but I hear they have issues of some sort, but I have no experience with those.  Search around and I'm sure you will learn about those.

A good idea is to look on Yahoo Japan, and import stuff yourself through a broker.  Generally a cheaper way to find and buy if you can wait a couple of months.

Edited by parrot
swaybar

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys again! I had a look at my differential, I'm just wondering if any if you guys know what it is, and what I should be looking for as a replacement . I heard I had a t18 diff which should have 10 bolts, however this diff has 8.

Any help would be awesome! 

IMG_20170517_115245.jpg

IMG_20170517_115229.jpg

37 minutes ago, briantutu said:

Hi tojo thanks for your reply. Could you explain what you mean by, S, T, U? and from what I've been told by the previous owner, the ke70 has a t50 gearbox, will any of the standard Borg Warner bolt up with the the drives haft? 

yeah, any ke70 diff will bolt up fine. Finding a standard ke70 borgy will be very easy, any older wrecker will have a couple.