My ke70 won't accelerate

Members dont see this ad

Hi James,

Just a query my repair manual says 0.45mm for the points gap and 0.8 mm for the plug gap. Have I been setting it wrong on the Princess' rolla?

Sorry, you are right !  That was off the top of my head.   0.8mm or 30 thou is the plug gap, & 0.45mm or 18 thou is the points gap.  Haven't had points in my Rolla for so long.  Went solid state long ago.

With points gap & olde cars, with worn dizzy cams, it is always advisable to set the points gap on the cam lobe with the with the smallest gap. This will result in the other three (3) lobes providing slightly larger gaps, but this is not an issue.  Usually the gaps will always decrease between points adjustments, as the fibre rubbing block on the points wears down/away.  That's why you must put Vaseline or a grease lubricant on the dizzy cam.  I always used to set my points at 20 thou to cater for this.

Cheers Banjo

Hi all 

just an update on my problem,

i went out to have another go at my Ke  tonight working by flood light in the driveway ( timing problem ) and I looked down the carby side of the engine and the exhaust pipe was literally glowing red hot and even the manafold was pink. I can't seem to get the timing regular as it starts to either rev off its tits or want to stall and backfire 

Now I am totally confused and aggravated, l would love any ideas please 

cheers Max666

Edited by Max666
Forgot something

Hey Max,

Just leave it now until tomorrow & it cools down !  Dave said you can't break a 4K, but you've got a serious problem there.  if I was in Sydney, rather than Brissy, I'd be round there in a flash.  Love to know what's causing this issue.

While the engine is running & this exhaust manifold is glowing red hot, does the engine make any unusual noises ?

I think it's back to the drawing board.  Forget about carby & dizzy tune & settings.  Time to pull all the spark plugs out, do a compression test, and maybe a leak down test, with compressed air. My guess is that big bang you experienced has blown something.  I think there is something basically wrong with the engine, and you need to check out the engine integrity first before anything else.

Cheers Banjo

• Upvote 1

Max, l've been thinking about this. Probably one or more of three things.   !

1. Running whilst very retarded.

2. Running very lean, which often causes it to race.

3.  Has a big vaccum leak on the inlet manifold or under the carby. 

Cheers Banjo.  

• Upvote 1

Hi Max,

Never heard of a K Series engine jumping a link, although I can't confirm it "cannot happen". K Series timing chains get pretty sloppy sometimes, to the point of the chain slapping against the inside of the timing chain cove, however to jump a link is a "big ask".  Some K series motors had double row timing chains, & I would think it would be less possible with one of them.  The chain could be fitted incorrectly, but as I presume as this motor has run successfully previously, that is probably not the cause of your issue.  A possibility is that the location pin between the camshaft sprocket & end of camshaft could have sheared.  No amount of adjusting of the dizzy timing will ever cure this, as the valve timing will be totally out.  As previously advised, you really have to go back to square one & check the valve timing, by fitting a degree wheel, & noting the opening & closing of inlet & exhaust valves on cylinder no: 1, with reference to the engine specs.  I assume the cam in this engine is stock standard.

Whatever, the cause, you are going to have to check valve timing out, unless you want to remove the engine & the timing chain cover.

If you can provide some history on this engine, and whether it has ever been stripped recently by yourself or others, that may lead to other possible reasons why this has occurred.

Good luck with your investigative efforts, & let us know how you go.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

• 3 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, Max666 said:

Hi Corolla gurus,

so I changed and adjusted the points on the 4K , set the timing, seemed to over rev, then I saw a bang and a puff of smoke from just above no3 spark plug or piston. Now no matter what I adjust on the carby it idles rough and when I pull the accelerator cable it seems to bog down and wants  to cut out, if I push through, the fuel in the the carby flames out of the top of carby. 

1) is it flooded?

2) blown head gasket? 

Thanks for any advice , spent all day on it , driving me nuts !!!!

cheers All

You should adjust your ignition timing properly and check if your vacuum hose are properly connected.

• 1 month later...

Haha that would do it. You must have had it a tooth or two out for the exhaust to be red!

It's amazing how retarded you can have the ign timing out and it still runs. Now you will know for next time:)

My mate and I once spent hours trying to diagnose a non starting 4ac. Who knew the distributor could go in 180deg out? Bloody stupid thing. But guess what the first thing I check on a non starting engine is now:)