What's this part of the engine?

Hi there, so I just got my 1985 ke70 as a project car. I'm really new to cars so I don't have my experience on parts within the engine bay. Could any of you guys help me tell me what this part is? I believe it's the air filter, however the reason why I'm questioning it is because when I drove it back home, there was smoke coming out from that area. There was so leakage around that area so I'm pretty sure that's whats causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies in advanced for the poor photo

Ps: my ke70 only has a right side view mirror, is that normal? 

IMG_20170507_200327.jpg

IMG_20170507_200252.jpg

Members dont see this ad

That's pretty crappy. 

Normally the fumes generated within the crankcase (essentially the part of the engine excepting where compression occurs) are fed from the outlet on the rocker cover back into the inside of the air cleaner assembly.  The will be an attachment on the air filter housing with a bit of wire gauze over it to catch any large crap).  In this way it gets sucked back into the engine.  On KE1x Corolla's the pipe just led down onto the road.  If your motor is in ordinary condition, you may find you have a fair amount of "blowby" which makes a mess of the airfilter.  Blowby is usually horrible oily watery muck, which you will find if you empty that canister.  It's probably full and needs emptying. 

I suspect anyone doing a RWC may not like it very much.

• Upvote 1

You will find that you will probably need to empty it pretty regularly.  There appear to be a drain for the purpose, but the oily residue will remain inside the canister. 

Probably an idea to dismantle and empty it out properly from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys update on the catch can, I empty all the residue in the catch can put it back in. However it's still smoking! Does anyone know what else could cause this issue? I recorded a clip of it, I'll put the link up when I upload it on YouTube. 

Thanks guys!! 

Here's the video! 

Edited by briantutu

Blow by is essentially combustion pressure getting outside the combustion chamber by any way other than when the exhaust valve opens.

Usually in older engines this is caused by rings that are worn and letting combustion pass, though it can be caused by leaking valvese..

Remember you will also ways have some small amount of blow by as rings aren't a perfect seal (which is why there is a crank case breather, but it should be quite minimal on a good condition engine.

With the engine running, pop your oil cap off and feel how much air comes out. Best case at idle it is minimal, i have had engines that have so much blow by that when you take the oil cap off they just about stall.

Also if it were me, id put the crank case ventilation back to stock and get rid of that catch can thing. if you have that much blow by you are better off burning it rather than trying to contain it. 

• Upvote 1

Standard air filters have a port for the breather from the crank case to go into. The air from your breather/crank case is then sucked into the engine via the oem air filter. Also remember that the air that comes out of the crank case is oily air. 

Most aftermarket filters dont have the provision for the crank case breather, so people put the catch cans on.

Its also possible that the catch can is full of oil, have you ever emptied it? Given you already have that air filter, perhaps pull the catch can appart, clean the inside and put it back together and see how it goes. you will have to monitor it and clean it out as required. 

Edited by ke70dave