Ae70 mods

Hey so I've recently brought a 1982 1.5L ae70 se corolla and I'm planning to build it up over the next few years so I was just wondering what suggestions you guys had in relation to building it into a drift/daily driver car? It's running a 3-AU engine I'm thinking of sourcing a 5k just for the 5th gear in the transmission and just having that in there while I do suspension and brake modifications before looking for more power maybe from a turbo 4age? So what suspension setup would yous recommend also should I look into a whole new rear axle or just a diff and disc brakes on the rear? So any suggestions would be helpful and also links to parts website where I can find good parts for it. 

Members dont see this ad

17mm rear sway bar.  The stiffer the rear end the easier it slides.

drift/daily driver car

Difficult to do, the ride in a drift car won't be very comfortable for daily driving, and it will be lethal when it rains.

If it has a Borg-Warner diff, get a T-series, or an F and put on the 5-link mounts. There is no way to put a limited slip into a borgie.

10 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

Difficult to do, the ride in a drift car won't be very comfortable for daily driving, and it will be lethal when it rains.

If it has a Borg-Warner diff, get a T-series, or an F and put on the 5-link mounts. There is no way to put a limited slip into a borgie.

weld it ;) 

15 hours ago, altezzaclub said:

And if it doesn't have a Borg-warner diff? 

What diff does it have? What country are you in?

The gineric drift suspension is 8k front, 6kg rear springs, short stroke shocks to suit. which on a ke70 is not easy to do with the front struts as finding shorter shocks is difficult, although unsure what country you are in, perhaps you can find something that fits. 

Lock the diff, get a small steering wheel, and pray for rain!

And if it doesn't have a Borg-warner diff?

Then find out what you have and if there are LSDs for it.  Australia got stuck with cast-iron Borgies because of local content laws. Japan released KE70s with pressed steel T-series and there are world-wide options for those. I took a T-series out of an RA60 Celica and bolted it straight in with a modified rear flange on the driveshaft.

This is the biggest problem with a KE70- you can up the 4K power, drop in a 5K or even a 7K, or a 4AGE,  but there is no solution to the Borgy diff.

Assuming it is standard I reckon it is either an S series differential or a T series differential. Its definitely not a borgwarner diff.

An S series will have 8 bolts holding the diff housing onto the axle housing, a T series will have 10 bolts holding the diff housing to the axle housing. 

The bolts i'm referring to are quite difficult to see in your photo i think there are 8? 

Though being overseas it could be anything.....can we get a photo of your built plate on the firewall of the car? this will say what diff it is also, assuming it hasn't been changed.