Cam shaft recommendations

G'day every one I'm new on here I am rebuilding a KE30 3Kcorolla with my mate so far we've rebuilt the engine new pistons rods bearings ect bought a 4K carburettor reconditioned, extractors and a custom made 2.5" exhaust I'm want to buy and install a performance cam shaft to give her a bit more. Just wanting to no what you lot have done what your running and where you got it from some part numbers would be awsome as well.

thanks heaps 

Members dont see this ad

Welcome Ben,

I sent my cam to new zealand for regrinding

http://www.aucklandcams.co.nz/cam_listings.php?title=TOYOTA 3K-4K

In Nsw there are these guys

http://www.camtechcams.com.au/toy_4cyl_3k4k.html

There are others in aust that I am sure the guys will reply with.

I suggest you get your lifters resurfaced at the same time, and dizzy regraphed if they offer the service.

Edited by 7000rpm
  • Upvote 1

I went auckland 873, quite an agressive grind.

Budget about $300ish from memory, plus $88 for lifters 

May I suggest you increase the compression ratio while you're at it. Might only be a small ratio increase if keeping the stock carb (to avoid detonation),though every bit helps.

I ended up with a Crow that gave the fastest opening, the greatest lift at 50thou without having to change valve springs by going over 0.4" total.  Cost $170 incl followers.

I'd say 270-280 advertised degrees would run with a stock carb, but bigger cams are wasted without twin DCOEs.

4K cam choices.jpg

Tighe cams.jpg

Auckland cams.jpg

Camtech cams.jpg

kent cams.jpg

Richo's cam.jpg

cam options.jpg

On 5/15/2017 at 3:35 AM, Ben carne said:

G'day every one I'm new on here I am rebuilding a KE30 3Kcorolla with my mate so far we've rebuilt the engine new pistons rods bearings ect bought a 4K carburettor reconditioned, extractors and a custom made 2.5" exhaust I'm want to buy and install a performance cam shaft to give her a bit more. Just wanting to no what you lot have done what your running and where you got it from some part numbers would be awsome as well.

thanks heaps 

What is the current compression ratio?  Is it higher then the stock engine?   

Before spending $$ on cams, you might look @ raising the engine compression enough to better utilize the cams you decide on.   

Edited by oldeskewltoy

With the twin Su carb mate what else did you need to modify IE cable ect 

Yes-  check out the build thread, I made mounts for the cable, had an airbox made, bought a twin cable choke cable, lots of little things...

SUs are fun, but old carbs nowadays. I'd use bike quads if I was to do it again in a serious way. Another option would be a single DCOE Weber, a great setup but the manifold is expensive. Twin Webers are not worth it for road use I reckon.

Glad you're on the subject of cams

I just need to find a stock cam for my 3k but the US seems to be entirely out. The wiki says they're all the same so I'm searching  13501-22010...supposed to be Toyota part number for a '77 3K-C

Which is cheaper shipping Japan or Australia? Anybody got one laying around they could throw real hard? It's only around 9600 miles away...should be easy.

It looks like $190 US before shipping is added from RHDJapan. I'm still waiting on confirmation they even have it.

The pin was sheared a few months ago, got the leftover out, made a new one that seemed good, rebuilt the entire engine, new everything but the cam, it was not very old and lobes still looked perfect....got 300 miles out of it and the damn hole in the cam where the pin goes broke out. It died quietly though so it didn't screw anything up, just went a little out of time.

My other option is to put it back together, weld the damn sprocket to the cam and hope it lasts me til I die and someone else can worry about it.

Really tired of borrowing mom's Yaris though it's cool that it goes right where you steer it...my rolla just takes suggestions.