Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanamond

Interesting thing I would like to ask you all

4 posts in this topic

I came to an idea, why we don't try to activate this forum? I see it's been active before, and now that I joined, it's not that much. Let's come to some ideas on how we can do this.

Members dont see this ad

Ive joined a bunch of faceballs groups attempting to connect with enthusiasts. It's like people dont know how to google things? and it seems ALOT more worse with facebook as information is instantly lost. I would say that 99.9% of questions asked on facebook across both the rollaclub and e30 ones i follow could be solved with google searching. Facebook isn't a good platform for keeping knowledgeable people engaged.

However in saying that most if the information that is in google searches is on forums that are 10-12yrs old. How long are they going to be around? Rollaclub.com only stays online cause irokin keeps paying the bill. I fear that that alot of great information that was acumulated on forums between say 2001 and ~2013 will eventually be lost. The internet may only end up with useless social media sites. Instabook and facegram.  And we will all be back to re-inventing the wheel on our own as information is lost.

Edited by ke70dave

The first wave of mass communication on the internet was all based off of real life, a real world translation of life onto the internet.  As such it was long format, and we celebrated the technology by using it well and appreciating it, as we didn't have it before.  We stockpiled information.  Never before could we find and connect with other enthusiasts as easily, so there was a long honeymoon period.  Now our generation is older, and we are now in the minority of users of the internet as the younger generation just lives on their phones.

They have grown up taking for granted the connectivity provided by the devices and also they have grown up in need of instant gratification.  Forums dont provide this, social media does.  Forums demand you are enough of a human to fit in, work with others, and make detailed explanations to help others out.  Facebook is the absolute opposite.  Time and time again I see misrepresented sales, bs claims, incorrect info, basically what I would delete off RC most likely, but its protected on facebook as the mods dont care.  WHy would they, in 24 hours nobody will ever find the posts again.  You can write any bs, ask any question without so much as a precursory search first, and just generally all feed into and accept each others frustratingly short spans of attention.  They just dont know better, and will always suffer next to a more patient approach.

Fuck Zuccherberg.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0