Pretty much every points distributor in the world looks like this:

The flat head screw in the back ground behind that wire is how the adjustment is done. 

The little arm thing goes up and down on the 4 sided cam.

points-1.jpg

An electronic distributor looks something like this which has no adjustable parts, this is a 5k dizzy i think which if you do have an electronic one it will be one of them.

it uses a magnetic pickup, with no user adjustability. 

Sv108404.jpg

Edited by ke70dave

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for being super patient ke70dave, yeah i remember testing the points with the old distributor and had weak spark through them. Yeah the 5k dizzy looks similar to what ive got, except instead of a plug on the side i have 2 wires coming out the side and only have one dizzy vacuum barb. With the electronic distributor i can't adjust the points gap at all?

There is an "air gap" between the 4 spikes sitting on the shaft and the metal face of the electronic pickup. That is able to be changed slightly, I think there is a dimension for it.  However that will only affect the crispness of the signal the electronic setup gets, not the ignition timing, and once set it never needs adjusting.

So you have no points to touch, no condensor to worry about, and no need of the ballast resistor.  Your worries are much bigger, because when the electronics fail you throw the dizzy away...  as far as I know!

You can buy the distributors complete from the USA, but I've never seen the two electronic packs for sale separately.  Someone must be still making them.

"They" say you have to use special (newer) low-impedance coils with them or you will burn the transistors out. 

Check that you have power going in and power coming out, and apart from that there is nothing to do to them.

How are you checking 12V at the coil?

You should be putting one end of your multi meter on the + side of the coil, and the other end onto anything metal bolted to the body, preferably the negative side of battery.

Do NOT put it on the negative side of the coil. You wont get anything if you do. 

for now can u just try jumping a wire from your battery positive terminal, across to your coil positive, then crank it over for us.
This will just confirm that u have a wiring/fuse problem.
hah and if it runs, don't just say SWEET, and leave that wire there haha

Just any old wire? cause I have some 10amp stuff from wiring up the gauges, also have left over wires hangin around from the old dizzy setup (they may be important I dunno)

But yeah if that wire starts it i'm sure as hell leaving it hahaha (only joking haha)

Edited by Radical_Jesus