Who has a spare cam? 3k-4k

Thought I would move this to it's own thread.

I need a cam for a 3K. I can't seem to find one in the US and am hoping one of you guys can help. Gotta get rolling again. The engine is all stock, I already have standard bearings in and hope to keep them if possible and not have to tear down any further to change the cam.

The pin broke out the side of the cam.

Maybe someone has one laying around still in good shape and can stick it in the mail?

If anyone can help, please let me know.

^sad music starts^, (picture a save the animals commercial in your head)...

Look at this poor sad rolla...chained to a driveway...left in all kinds of weather...birds doing their business all over it...it 'cam' not go anywhere though it dreams of the open road it once ran. Your contribution can help save this poor rolla who's just one part shy of freedom.

Picture 106.jpg

Edited by CorollaNut68
Added incentive.

Members dont see this ad

Can't be welded back in??  Just braze the pin in and the piece back on, the overlap of the cam gear wheel holds it in place.  You can always melt it out again in the future if you need to.

Are 4K cams the same??  There are a couple lying around the Woolshed, but no 3Ks.

Welding isn't out of the question. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. The pin hole is now more of a channel to the outside edge. If it wasn't outrageously expensive I figured a new or unbroken cam would be safer. I'll have to find another pin or make one, fill the gaps in and grind em off. Any problem with it getting out of balance maybe? That's the main concern of my buddy with the welder. As I said...my last ditch effort will be to spot weld the gear directly to the cam and hope it's the last time I need one so I'm not pulling this one out until I have a solution in hand. The car should outlast me the way things are going.

I'm going to see if i can magnet the lifters out so i don't have to order new gaskets and pull the head. and would like to keep the new standard bearings in too, they only have 300 miles on them. Really hoping to just slip this one out, slip a new one in and be running in an hour. We have a really strong bar magnet that I may be able to just stick to the side and hold all the lifters up at the same time while I slip the cam out. If it works I'll let ya know. i hurt my back the other day and haven't made it back to the big shop at my buddy's house. I can barely make it to my smoking hole, I mean my workshed, where I do important work, outside.

From looking at it it seems to all boil down to, the big washer I used failed, wasn't thick enough, the gear tried to ride over the pin and pushed it out the side. When you have to put stuff aside for months, and move them around, things come up missing. That will definitely be remedied.

I would have thought the pin I made would have been weaker than the solid steel cam. It was just a roll pin with a piece of a nail in the center that tapped into place. I even put a pound or two extra on the bolt torque. the bolt was still tight but the washer was bent.

I think a hard shift into 2nd may have set it loose, it died about a mile later.

Any problem with it getting out of balance maybe?

nah-  Spins slowly and the radius is so small it has no centrifugal force.  Weld the pin in and keep the gear removeable.

Use a piece of dowel to get the followers out if the magnet doesn't do it. Life them slowly as the oil makes them stick to the walls. No need to lift the head.

Something doesn't quite sound right, I didn't think there was much force on a cam. All it does is push the valves open, although I have see a pin broken out before. The cam will be fairly hard steel, brittle enough to snap occasionally. I suppose if the washer bent then the pin would get pushed hard if the wheel backed off a mm. Those washers are 2 or 3mm thick!

What state ate you located in? 

I have a friend in AZ who is currently looking through his parts stash for a cam.

Camshaft material is cast iron NOT steel. Its a PITA to weld but can be done. I've seen cam grinders with 40yr experience get it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll be doing some welding this week. Apparently when I bought this cam (that I'm fixing) it was the last one in the known universe.

I went to order a new pin, bolt and washer from a Toyota dealer, you can still get those....bolt is $2,30. Washer is $2.11. Pin is $1

$6 worth of tiny parts that would fit in an envelope.

They want $20+ for shipping........

I laughed. I think I paid about $6 for shipping my new alternator and it's a tiny bit bigger and heavier than a single bolt and washer.

Hey Rob, I will weigh this one and see if I can figure the postage and what size box. I would need a zip code or whatever you use to get an estimate. Mine is 72210.

This is what I'm planning for the moment because I want to be driving this weekend.

I got the leftovers out of the hole, I've deepened it slightly with a matching size bit (making sure I stayed centered) to give the hole a bit more strength and I'm going to use a piece of the shaft from this chrome vanadium screwdriver as a pin and weld it in and fill in the gap, grind it smooth and should be...should be...good. We've got a good wire welder.

Except for that breaking problem this cam has no visible wear at all.

Picture 281.jpg

Picture 282.jpg

$208 U.S. by FedEx approximately but you're "out of area". Is there somebody you use down there that does international? I wouldn't want you to have to go find a FedEx office if there's not one in town. They'll deliver there for an extra $34 but I don't know if they will pick up.

I should know good or bad on what I'm doing by the end of the week.

The only service that we could use is australia post .

The post code is 2350 ,we have some large companys here but they don't want to no you unless you have a acccount with them.

As well we are in the back (blocks ) here not being close to the major cities.

If your keen to give it a go pm your full address and we will see if it gets there ha ha.

rob

Well, let's see how this goes...I still have a little smoothing to do and take the pin down a smidgen til it's dead flush. Welded the pin in, filled it in and ground it, yep cast is a pain. I gotta get the dremel to finish it, I knicked it up with the bigger wheel.

Would it be better to shorten the pin more? It seems like the factory pin only went halfway through the gear.

It's ugly but should be functional. Wednesdays are short days at work, I'll see if I can get it together tomorrow afternoon and see what happens.

5940521d4eada_Picture284.jpg.a9130440dbcec8305022e52426f330f6.jpg5940522c9f7e4_Picture285.jpg.efdc9bbf8a0835a0842b0c8f53fded68.jpg

Edited by CorollaNut68
Additional question