1998 4A FE timing belt Question 100 series

Mudgy

Hi All,

I was doing a bit of service work on my Daughter's Corolla today (new fan belts)

After replacing these, I started it, and inspected all rotating assemblies. The harmonic balancer may be shot as it creeps away a few mm from the engine as I increase the revs.

The A/C belt was missing, and the ALT + water pump belt was damaged; which made me take a good look, and ask "why".

So, the harmonic balancer pulley is a job for another weekend.

This has prompted me into looking around for timing belts/belt kits, as that part is so close to replacement I may as well do it while I'm getting stuck into the Harmonic Balancer job.

After looking about, I can't tell if I have a 94 tooth x 19mm timing belt, or a 117 tooth x 21mm  belt without pulling it all apart.

AE 101R model, built Feb 1998 (100 series)

4A - FE engine 1.6ltr twin cam.

How do I tell which timing belt I need to get?

20170603_145922.jpg

Corolla%204%20no%20number%20plate.jpg

Corolla%201.no%20number%20plate.jpg

Cheers, Mudgy

Members dont see this ad

I believe you should be after the 117Tx21mm belt, the 94Tx19 belt gets called up for the early-model 4AFEs that came out in the AE92.  Easy way to check would be to take the cam cover off (easy job - spark plug leads, 2 vacuum hoses, 4 nuts, 2 bolts and disconnect the wiring for the alternator and air-con compressor) and measure the width of the belt that is currently fitted.

Which catalogue were you looking at that showed the 94-tooth belt?

Thanks mate, I'll have to do that. I had reservations about a 21mm belt if damaged measures less when inspected. Probably thinking too much.

Oil change is about 1,000kms away, so it will be done earlier than expected.

Once I find out I'll let you know.

BTW I was cruising ebay for belt kits, and the same year model & engine size had both kinds of belt with a note to check No. of teeth.

Cheers, Mudgy

OK, had a chat with a Toyota spares guy today, it's a 117 tooth x 21mm belt. Toyota part number for the belt only is 13568-19046.

Dayco part number for the whole timing belt kit is KTBA015.    

comes with:  

Qty Part
1 Timing Belt (Part Number: 94289)
1 Timing Belt Tensioner (Part Number: KT32)
1 Timing Belt Spring (Part Number: 85801)
1 Timing Belt Spring (Part Number: 85803)
1 Oil Seal kit - 3 seals (Part Number: KS04)
1 Dayco Timing Belt Sticker

Timing Belt Part 94289
Timing Belt Teeth 117 Teeth
Timing Belt Width 21.00mm wide
Timing Belt Profile CYH
Timing Belt Compound HSN compound with single tooth fabric cover
Timing Belt Construction Description This tooth profile (CYH) was developed to further
increase resistance to tooth jump, particularly in transmission
systems with small engine shaft diameters.
It can also be used on pulleys of different design.
Timing Belt Tooth pitch 8.0mm
Timing Belt Tooth width 5.2mm
Timing Belt Tooth height 3.0mm
Timing Belt
Construction code
117SHP+211H
Timing Belt Profile diagram dayco
Timing Belt Tensioner
dayco
Part: KT32
Timing Belt Spring
dayco
Part: 85801
Timing Belt Spring
dayco
Part: 85803
Seal Kit

dayco

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130935652762?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Cheers, Mudgy

Edited by Mudgy
typo

Always good to get the info straight from the horses mouth.  Problem with a lot of online catalogues these days is that even if they appear to be regional-specific, they often grab their info from a worldwide database and can include models/versions not sold here, creating confusion.

Not quite all from the horse's mouth, All the fella at Toyota could give me was "only one belt listed for that VIN"

So I had to ask, "what is the Toyota number?" As his data didn't specify No. of teeth.

Armed with the genuine number I looked at over 2 x dozen 'net suppliers before I could safely say it's the longer one.

Proof will be in the pudding when I tackle the job I suppose. I'll let you know then if it's right or if I have to get the other damn belt !

Cheers, Mudgy