Ke25 body options

Members dont see this ad

Essentially the answer is that there is an early and late front, with different bonnets, bonnet trim, under grill trim corner garnish and so on.

Model change occurred from August 1972.  Yours is an early model. 

A TE27 is your body shell with a vast range of options and trim levels from a 1400 T engine all the way through to 1600 2TG's.  Put simply the coupe chassis with a T engine.  Most of these model options were available in Japan only.  US also had TE27 variant but with a 2T rather than a 2TG

If you want the later pointed bonnet, you need the other bits that go with it, as above.  I left out the grille from the list.  There is some serious money to be spent.

Like anything, you will need to find them, which in your neck of the woods may be hard work.  Even in Australia, where these cars were very popular, they are now hard to find, especially in reasonable condition, whether early or late.  Guards, bonnets, bonnet front trim, grilles and correct grille trims, corner garnishes are in high demand and generally priced accordingly.

If you prefer the Trueno type front, you will also need the Trueno specific guards which are different again, as are the various Trueno front parts.  Australia didn't get the Trueno model. 

Essentially you join the parts roundabout like everyone else.  I spent years getting to know people around the world when I was actively sourcing parts, and it took me some years to locate everything I needed.  Since then, prices have risen astronomically. 

I would think very seriously about the effort and expense of sourcing the later front end panels.  The early flat front is a rarer model these days and a very nice one was restored here in Qld not that long ago before being put on the market for an astronomical price.  It was a genuine TE27 levin however.  Not sure if it ever actually sold.

If you can find them, shipping will be horrendous.  There is a guy in Spain you will probably already have found on ebay who gets good stuff, but at eye watering prices.  And "modify", a member on these forums (and others) from NZ is able to source parts and good to deal with.  He is also involved with a great guy (Grant) who makes replica seat trims and door trims.  You will quickly find him on your forum travels.

Join up on Japanese Nostalgic Car, AEU86.org (euro corolla forum - mainly AE86's but other Toyota's including the E20 chassis), 3TCgarage etc etc, trawl yahoo japan via a broker company. etc etc

Edited by parrot

Topman thanks for the insight, i have a few links all over the world in regards the retro jap cars and I'm 100% with you on that the prices are next level its funny because here in UK these cars are worth nothing. but a mans gota do what a mans gota do and I'm going to complete the project as i set out to do but I'm actually a BMW man with the e28 alpinas rare as hens teeth but the parts for that are no where near as expensive as this corolla...

The man in spain is that garagetoyota.com

Yes, but he sells under a couple of ID's.  Another one is Toyotagaragesell.  In the past he was a bit slippery, but seems to have lifted his game.  He does still build his reputation from other accounts he has set up though. 

Yahoo Japan is the only source for some particular parts, but prices there have caught up

The US is useful for some things, crossmembers, suspension components (especially steering arms) and so on. 

There was a nice guy on AEU86.org in the Netherlands (The Doctor) who built up a car some years ago.  He may have some Euro insight, and you will see there are a couple of Scandinavian guys on here with early Corolla's

Edited by parrot
can't spell

You have to lift your game if you want the good parts!

Use a broker to search in English and bid on yahoo.  I use importmonster.com.au but doubtless there will be a UK based crowd offering a similar service

Give the importmonster site a try as a general idea of what you can do.  Aaron is a great guy and has brought me in everything from brochures/magazines to a whole bare shell.

Sounds good. I got some amazing parts for my KE15 SL from a guy in the US that used to do the same thing.  

The Spanish guy certainly gets some of his parts on yahoo.  I've seen items sold on yahoo that subsequently appear on his eBay site that are unquestionably the same ones. If you have the local Japanese ties, you may do well.