Supercharged 4K Build recommendations

Hey guys, after running around in my standard 4k ke55 for about 5 years now and am on my second motor and gearbox. I've decided to finally dive in and build a 4k that takes my fun little beast to the next level.

I've gotten a 4k from a KE70 auto (so hopefully it's had an easier life than the ones I've been through), and I have an SC12 supercharger.

Basically I'm trying to build about 100hp for a fair price, and yes I've read the 'tough 4k build' post about 20 times in the last 5 years.

I'm planning on rebuilding the motor and getting components balanced. From there I need to sort out what carby to buy, what can grind to get, and where/what extractors to buy.

If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, and if anyone has anything I can use that they can donate or sell, feel free to let me know, I'm located in Brisbane.

Members dont see this ad

If I were in your shoes, id be fitting forged pistons, spool rods, good head gasket and head studs.

For the effort of trying to tune a carby on a boosted setup, id get a k series efi manifold and and aftermarket computer. (Full EFI conversion)

6 hours ago, 7000rpm said:

If I were in your shoes, id be fitting forged pistons, spool rods, good head gasket and head studs.

For the effort of trying to tune a carby on a boosted setup, id get a k series efi manifold and and aftermarket computer. (Full EFI conversion)

Really, that's a lot of coin to throw at a k engine and so not necessary.

if run suck through you can use almost any carb you want as long as you can find the right tuner, or go blow through and find the right carb for want you want to achieve (dedicated blow through carb or seal the whole carb in a box)

Just for your information I run standard cast Pistons, standard rods and standard head bolts with a genuine Toyota head gasket and 8psi of boost

Yes I am sure there are many low boost setups on stock bottom ends.

Thing is you get use to low boost, then want more.....get use to that....then want more :)

All part of the fun. My advice was to build a tough engine from the get go to set up for future boost increases

26 minutes ago, KEI069 said:

Just for your information I run standard cast Pistons, standard rods and standard head bolts with a genuine Toyota head gasket and 8psi of boost

Totally agree. I've got stock cast pistons and rods. Again genuine hg but also arp's.

Between current engine and old stock 4k I never manager to break anything even with over 20psi.

Blow through would be easier as it makes the fuel system much simpler. 

Supercharged I would vote for a stock cam too! 

have you decided whether to go blow through or suck through?

id suggest use the oem 7k carby mls manifold gasket. 

A way to keep internals in one piece is make sure it doesn't lean out.  A wideband oxy meter will be useful like the innovate motorsports ones so you can keep eye on air/fuel ratios.. or make sure its rich enough whilst driving on boost. and can datalog with them and check ratios on a laptop

Edited by AE25

yeah I would be focusing on getting a programmable ecu going.You can do it with junkyard parts and an electronic distributor. You can then put a wideband 02 sensor in your exhaust, use the ECU to data log. Carbies are cool, but their day is gone i think. Decent ecus can be more than 10yrs old now you can find some bargains if you hold out. 

Though you do need a 4ke inlet manifold.....and a high pressure fuel system...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/griffin/other-parts-accessories/haltech-ellv2/1149995102

Very good ecu for 500bucks.

Then of course there is the whole fabrication issue of your supercharger mounting and piping, lots of ways to skin a cat.

Hey dude. Sounds like a good build.

Is it possible for you to get an Eaton m62 off an old sl merc instead of the sc12?

Sc12 extremely difficult to rebuild due to parts not being available just like the sc14. Bearings being hard to get as they didnt release them aftermarket.

I was going to run an sc14 on the f20c in my Rolla but ended up geting an Eaton m90 for ease of rebuild and parts.

Just my 2 cents. 

Regards macca

Have taken the motor apart and one of the stock Repco pistons has a small crack, so definitely buy new one, unfortunately I don't think I can afford forged. Currently shopping around for prices and looks like 130-150 for pistons and 50 for standard rings or 75 for crome rings.

Be better of trying to mount the charger on the other side where the air conditioning pump would live.... some people have also used the a/c mounting bracket to mount the charger. I don't think you would have enough room where the alternator is.... and then you need to relocate that anyway! 

Edited by Taz_Rx

14 hours ago, 7000rpm said:

Question 

So if this is your second engine, and it has a cracked piston, how are these engines failing?

My first engine seized a bottom end bearing due to low oil.

The second motor is in the car is doing ok.

This is the third motor. It's from an auto KE70, I never saw the car, just assumed it wouldnt have been thrashed due to the auto. But hey, cracked piston, maybe it was a drag Rolla :P

going draw through carby, and it looks like the SU HS6 is the right weapon.

Going for the alty mount (passenger's side?) or aircon mount on the driver's??

Making a new inlet manifold?? One that faces forward?

Moving the battery down to the chassis on the driver's side? Easy to do and gives a lot of space on the passenger's.

Uprighting the motor?!  The way it is just makes everything to do with induction a problem.