7A powered AE82

Members dont see this ad

So, the old 82 mount fits
XZjmViR.jpg

Zn2nTr8.jpg

But I think this wont pass with the engineers + mechanic ..

So the front mount (or drivers side) went from:

4YqVMAo.jpg

To

frQc66K.jpg

So i need to do a little bit o hacking or something to make it fit..

Edited by MaximusPsychosis
clearing up some words

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I am going to get the mounts completely swapped over, then attempt to get it in the car.. so far the daily cracked a head, couldnt handle 430K-KM on the clock.. so Ive been running around trying to get that back on the road.

But yeah, looks like it can just mount right up no issue, maybe a AE92 engine mount can take the spot of the 4AC mount with the 3 pins/studs and still sit in the chassis mount point

Edited by MaximusPsychosis
speeling, yeah

• 6 months later...

Yeah,  I was. I have a wrecked ae101 and getting its wiring setup for transplant. I'm going to try and keep the cluster as much as the old ae82 as possible, speedo, tacho,will have to be swapped, the fuel tank/sender could remain the same, I think just have to go external pump.

the engine mount brackets have to be changed off the old 4A motor to fit on the 7A. Unless I do major body work to get the AE101's mounts to fit in. since the 101 has a 2 piece cross-member that holds the sway-bar and the 82 has a basically bar on 4 body mounts. There is no way it would fit without cutting parts and welding others.

I will be swapping the brakes over from the 101 to the 82.

sorry to hear you're having a hard time.  talking to people about it does help.  as does getting out and exercising and eating healthy. :)

Seems i've been through alot of what you're doing now.  I fitted an ae101 silvertop 20v but the conversion will be much the same.  I found the ae101 loom is too short to fit through the original 82 firewall hole and be able to mount the ecu behind the center console.  pity ae82.net went down as i had a project thread on there..  I have one on toyspeed if you are registered. 

From memory there's only one wire needed to go from the dash to ecu, and that was to sense car speed.  The 20v didn't reach full rpm unless ecu saw a speed signal.  500rpm lower rpm limiter otherwise.  The ae82 didn't have the correct signal from the speedo but i modified the tinkerbell mechanism to give an on-off pulse when car moving and seems to work. 

If the new gearbox has an electronic speedo sender, swap it for the ae82 mechanical one so that the original speedo works.  but if the diff ratio is different.. I can't remember if that affects the accuracy of the speedo and if the speedo drive gear has ratio's to match the diff like a rwd speedo.  I have an original ae82 dash and didn't have to change anything on it to run the new engine.  just wire in the appropriate wires for tacho, engine temp, charge lamp etc into the ae82 loom.

ae101 had same mounts on the gearbox, so i used ae82 rubbers on the ae101 C52 and it bolted in.   Used the ae101 axles because they are equal length and apparently reduces torque steer.  Be careful if wanting to use ae92 mounts on the gearbox end, as some of them have different bolt position on the box.

the rear brakes are a bit of a dick.  can't directly swap brake parts onto ae82 strut.  but it can be done with ae93 struts and a mix n match of disk brake parts (not drum).  If you want a parts list of what fits and what doesn't I could dig this up. 

ae82 have a slightly larger ball joint so ae101 front strut upright doesn't swap directly. 
the non-superstrut ae101 front brakes can be swapped onto ae82 strut.  Front brake backing plates need to be swapped first so consider this before fitting the axles etc.  use ae82 brake hoses.

my toyspeed thread is here.  heap of brake swap info.  need to be a registered member to view it.  toyspeed ae82 20v conversion

• 5 months later...

Yeah, its basically mounted in, I was going to stuff the ecu under/near the kick panel, closer to the hole. but we'll see how that turns out. 1st thing before that is to strip down the 101 loom and splice it in to the 82 loom.

as for speedo, I think I can get a reed switch on the cluster, whether or not it pick up on the magnetic air clutch used for the speedo, I'm not to sure.

Whats really throwing me off this is the amount of work i need for the rest of the car, need to repair the seats, new belts, struts.. also my tools just seems to of exploded and went everywhere/ need to buy a new set..

I have AE101R sedan rear set, I had a good look at the setup, I can tell its not a bolt-in jobie, but I'm sure its not to hard to make something up with tube stock, but i'll take the both off and run it by a fab/engineering shop and see if that can do something to ADR standards, its already up for engineering signoff with the new engine in it, if it was the twinkie setup i'd could get away with just an engine swap'n'sign off, what a little more?

I'm sure I cannot use the trailing arm and A frames off an ae92, I have one here, but it drum too.

on that note, anyone wanna have some fun with grinders and a 101 chassis?

I'll throw some more pictures up later, tonight/tomorrow/some day

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...