KE 20 Roof Lining

Members dont see this ad

Hi Mal,

Bugga !   I stripped my donor Rolla at the weekend, including removing the headlining & bars.  If I'd known you were after the little plastic clips, I would have delicately removed them, as they are very brittle when 40 years old. Unfortunately I yanked the bars out & broke them all.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Mal,

I'm really sorry I didn't retain those clips.  I will keep my eyes open for some more.  I'm assuming all the KE Rollas used the same head lining bar clips.  How many are you needing for the KE20 ?   I think the KE55 Coupe, that  I "dissembled" at the weekend, had four (4) on each side.  I just went out in the yard, where I had been working, & found a broken one in the dirt. At worst, you could probably make some up out of steel. The steel rod bars are 5.1mm in dia.  A piece of steel tube to suit could be cut into 20mm lengths, and then tack welded to a thick steel nail , 5mm in dia., cut into 18mm sections.   Should work OK.

Nice paint job !  Is that an original Toyota colour or something you just liked ?  Very much in keeping with popular colours of that period your KE20 was manufactured.

Keep the pictures coming, as you progress with putting it all back together.  Love complete rebuilds !  They involve every aspect of the car.

Cheers Banjo   

Hi Mal,

Absolutely beautiful !  What a find.  I started with an RA40 Celica, a KE35 Coupe years ago, then a KE55 Coupe, & now the "getting rarer" KE30 2 door sedan.

However, my favourite would be a TE27; but if not, I'd settle for a Ke20 or KE25 like yours.  They still have one of the best appearances of all the Rollas, to my mind, when they are lowered slightly, with widies & flares.  The agressive grills, of which there were several types, also give them that "mean", but attractive extremely ageless look.

Some of those USA equivalents, like the SRs are awesome.

SR.JPG.fc8ed67039cf09537ef5d94f29797b32.JPG

I think I'll drool over your photos today.

So what have you got in mind for the "serious" upgrade, other than the respray ?

Cheers Banjo  

Edited by Banjo

Interior has been done, back to stock, engine is a 4K 60 thou over and put together be me and a mate Ken.  Ken has 40 years experience with building quick and reliable engines.

The usual blue prInt and balance twin 40 DCOE's extractors exhaust jap 5 speed.....

We currently Rally an RA65 Celica built buy Ken 2.4 balanced etc big port head and cam from the USA.....

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_3313.PNG

Thanks Mal  !    Just beautiful.   Be sure to put  some pics up here, when it has all gone back together.  Strangely, I was following a current model Corolla Hatch this morning, that had a colour that I haven't seen around, on a lot on Toyotas, that was reminiscent of those colours of yesterday.  I looked it up on the web, & found it is not available on all models. In the Corolla range, it only appears to be available on the Hatch.  It is called "Citrus".

594c77352e1ad_CorollaHatchinCitrus.JPG.88deae9ad5c3db169c72c0d7afc151b1.JPG

I have to spray my KE30 2 door shortly, & am torn between whether to stick with the original colour (my wife calls it "baby pooh"), or one of the newer colours, that are similar, but more up to date.

KE30.thumb.JPG.c67356c65ed6702f8c03061bd65767e1.JPG

There is even a Ford yellowy gold colour that looks very good, that would go over the original colour pretty well.  However, I think I'm a bit like you, & would like to keep it olde skool look.

I've sourced the original colour code, so getting the original colour matched is not an issue. 

Thanks for the picture of your RA65 Celica rally car.  My wife & I had an RA40 years ago, and travelled far & wide interstate in it.  It was a great travelling car; loved cruising, and you could always lay the back seat forward & sleep stretched out in the back.  My wife always referred to it as "SillyCar".  It was anything but, and was very reliable & had a lovely gearbox. 

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo