new to KE30 need help starting

On 6/28/2017 at 4:18 PM, altezzaclub said:

I'm sorry but this new forum is driving me f u c king mad!!  I've written out a long reply twice but it locks up on putting in a link and I can't be f u c k ed wasting my life explaining it all again! irokin this new format is not working!

Just see if you have 12V on the points arm with the battery +ve hooked up to the coil +ve and the points open.

So I've been doing more of what you guys suggested. I have no neutral switch in or under the car.  I do have 12v on the arm when open. I do have 12v to the coil. Coil to cap wire is bad so I have a new set ordered already should be here today. Will try to do the key barrel today to eliminate that possibility. Really really appreciate the help guys. Can't wait to get this car running so I can drive it around for a bit. 

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Omar,

Glad you've found it.  Is it the circled switch, lurking back there in the dark, with what looks like 2 wires on it.

Rollaclub.JPG.ccf231191287182136f600cb51d55542.JPG

You have obviously got a complete different engine & auto box, in your KE55 USA, to what we have here in Australia.  Can you please take a photo under the bonnet, of the engine, so we can identify it. 

Lets know how you go.  I won't be surprised if you find the switch is U/S.  That s not a good place to have an electrical component, with all the under floor rubbish all over it.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Jeez Banjo, how can you see anything in there!

Omar, having 12V at the points arm is a definate step forward. Now we know the signal gets to the coil. The coil might be dud, or the condensor inside the dizzy might be.

The condensor charges up when the points are open and discharges when closed, and a leaky condensor gives a lousy spark.

If you can bridge the wires that are on the neutral switch it eliminates that from the equation. The car will start in any gear while you test it.

Hi Omar,

My guess is, you've probably got a 2T-C  1.6L engine in your car, with a 4 speed auto. I tried to find a 4 speed auto gearbox pic on the net that might show this elusive neutral switch, but couldn't find one.

Does the engine under your bonnet, look a bit like this ?

595cc3fa6dbf1_2T-CEngine.thumb.JPG.e0ec7a002227b82d71e74d9f2d224014.JPG

Cheers Banjo

3 hours ago, Banjo said:

Hi Omar,

My guess is, you've probably got a 2T-C  1.6L engine in your car, with a 4 speed auto. I tried to find a 4 speed auto gearbox pic on the net that might show this elusive neutral switch, but couldn't find one.

Cheers Banjo

Not as nice as the one in the picture but yes just like it.  

On 7/5/2017 at 3:49 AM, Banjo said:

Hi Omar,

Cheers Banjo

Not as nice as the one in the picture but yes just like it.  

Found the switxh just need to find whwre where to buy it. 

IMG_1794.JPG

Hi Omar,

This is like one of those serials on the TV, which goes on & on.  I just want to jump to the episode where the car starts, & everyone is happy.

OK, so the switch appears to have four (4) wires coming out of it.  My guess is the two (2) individual wires will be for the reversing lights, & the connector socket will be for the start circuit.

596344d19b62f_AutoNeutralGearboxSwitch.JPG.36310966ca71bf5cff79e9fe7a2692bd.JPG

This should be pretty easy to test.  If you short the two individual wires on the loom, where those switch wires plugged into, the reversing lights should come on, when the ignition is on.

Likewise, if you short the corresponding two wires in the plug on the loom, you should be able to start the car !

Like Altezzaclub suggests; I'd be giving that switch a really good clean, & see what you find.  You might find its just full of road crud, and when it is all cleaned up inside, it might just work, so you don't have to go looking for a replacement one.

Good luck !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Probably, there is one on the wiring diagram I posted up. Auto only, the manuals don't have one.

Have you tried the switch on the bench with a test light or meter??  That would tel you the switch works (or not!)

Then try it in the car with a meter to see if it has a circuit in neutral gear, then finally look for 12V at the switch in the car.

OK, lets work backwards.  My guess is that you have never had this engine turn over, as you said you had to buy a new starter motor, & since that time you have not been able to get the engine to crank.

1.  Take out the 4 off spark plugs & see if you can turn the engine over by hand, with a spanner on the crankshaft pulley.

2.   If it turns relatively easily, then squirt some engine oil down all four spark plug holes & turn it over by hand about 10 off revolutions.

3.   Do not put the spark plugs back in.

4.   Pull the single wire off the starter motor engaging solenoid, and replace it with a single wire long enough to reach the battery positive terminal. This is       usually a spade terminal.

5.   Make sure the spanner on the crankshaft pulley has been removed. Touch the wire to the battery positive terminal.  If all good the starter should               engage & spin, as there will be no  compression with the spark plugs removed.

6.    Squirt some more engine oil down the spark plug holes, & continue to spin the engine with the starter, until the engine spins very freely, as a result           of the oil being spread on the cylinder walls.

Now you know the starter spins the engine, you've got to find the starter relay (kick panel ?), & check that it has power to it, and energises when the ignition key is turned to start position.  Once you got that far, put the plugs back in, & try starting it, as you indicated previously, that you had + 12Volts to the dizzy breaker points, when open.

Good luck !

Cheers Banjo.

Edited by Banjo

• 6 months later...

Hi Omar,

Great !   We now have that happy ending I mentioned earlier.

Now, when you get it all sorted & running well, do yourself a favour, & liberally apply degreaser to your engine & engine bay, then pressure clean it.   It will make it so much easier to work on in future.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo