New Calipers for AE71 Brake upgrade

Members dont see this ad

Just curious as to why you would want to upgrade the callipers and not the disc as well?

You would be better off finding an xt130 corona with the twin piston sumitomo callipers and do a complete strut, brake, and lower control arm swap.

I did this on the cheap for my first upgrade, but needed to cut 1 coil out of the standard ae71 spring and used the corolla top hat.

Here's before and after I rebuilt them with new slotted discs and calliper seal kit. The brake pedal felt a bit softer but it could lock the front quite easily. 

Upgrading just the callipers would probably cook the disc a lot quicker considering how small and thin they are to start with. That's my food for thought.

FB_IMG_1500939528748.jpg

FB_IMG_1500939551712.jpg

I think the bolt spacings are different between the Jap RA40 and the Aussie KE70 struts.

You don't need to change the brakes when fitting a 4AGE, all the rest of the car is quite stock on mine.  As I said to the engineer, you still only drive at 100kph, and the stock brakes will lock up the tyres so that's all you need.  Its quicker uphill, not downhill.  However if you're going racing its a whole new ball game.

The conversion I need to sort out is a small ventilated disc off an old Suzuki at the wrecker.  A lightweight ventilated system would be better than a bigger heavier solid disc. Just the weight of the 4AGE & T50 has a noticeable effect on the handling, so adding more unsprung weight will just make it worse.

We use RA40 & XT130 suspension on the rally car and Steve's road car as both have Bilsteins fitted. The larger strut dianeter gives a wide range of shocks compared to the stock KE70 ones. The bigger brakes are a bonus in the rally car.

19 hours ago, Twincam16seca said:

Just curious as to why you would want to upgrade the callipers and not the disc as well?

You would be better off finding an xt130 corona with the twin piston sumitomo callipers and do a complete strut, brake, and lower control arm swap.

I did this on the cheap for my first upgrade, but needed to cut 1 coil out of the standard ae71 spring and used the corolla top hat.

Here's before and after I rebuilt them with new slotted discs and calliper seal kit. The brake pedal felt a bit softer but it could lock the front quite easily. 

Upgrading just the callipers would probably cook the disc a lot quicker considering how small and thin they are to start with. That's my food for thought.

Point taken.

15 hours ago, altezzaclub said:

I think the bolt spacings are different between the Jap RA40 and the Aussie KE70 struts.

You don't need to change the brakes when fitting a 4AGE, all the rest of the car is quite stock on mine.  As I said to the engineer, you still only drive at 100kph, and the stock brakes will lock up the tyres so that's all you need.  Its quicker uphill, not downhill.  However if you're going racing its a whole new ball game.

The conversion I need to sort out is a small ventilated disc off an old Suzuki at the wrecker.  A lightweight ventilated system would be better than a bigger heavier solid disc. Just the weight of the 4AGE & T50 has a noticeable effect on the handling, so adding more unsprung weight will just make it worse.

We use RA40 & XT130 suspension on the rally car and Steve's road car as both have Bilsteins fitted. The larger strut dianeter gives a wide range of shocks compared to the stock KE70 ones. The bigger brakes are a bonus in the rally car.

Just street use, If I don't need to then i won't, was just talking to my local car club about it and they mentioned brakes.

Edited by Slousebox