KE30 3k - Slow starter turnover - even with a jump

RatherMad

Hey guys, 

so I've got a KE30 that I'm getting going, it's been sitting for 10years.

Having trouble starting, I have managed to get it running briefly.

However cranking it over it seems to drain the battery really fast. 

I've had the battery charged full, and then also jumped it with the running Patrol. That gets about 30 seconds of crank out of it and then it's not enough power and will barely turn over the engine. 

Any suggestions would be lovely.

cheers, Maddie! 

Members dont see this ad

Pull the plugs out squirt some oil down the hole and turn it over quite a few times by hand to get the bores well lubricated. Put the plugs back in and give it a spin with the starter motor. If she has sat for ten years the chances of the bore being marked by the rings sitting in the same place would be pretty high. 

Yeah I've already done a service on it, put some oil in the pots, cranked it by hand, filled the car by with fuel and got it going briefly. (She sounded alright considering how longs she's been there, and the custard that was her engine oil) 

So managed to have it run for 30 second bursts at most. 

Fuel pump is sucking through fuel. 

But it seems like there might be a power drain or something on the starting system? I get about 3 goes at trying to start it, and then there's just not enough power to get a fast crank. (This was even while we were jumping it with the patrol while it was running) 

I tried putting an extra earth from the engine to the battery (it only had one to the body). 

Thinking maybe I need to redo the wiring to the starter? 

Havnt had it running long enough to check the alternator and what not. 

That starting and then snuffing out sounds like it might be the ballast resistor has open circuited. Short out the terminals with a wire bridge and give it a try. You can run the engine without the ballast resistor in circuit but it will eventually toast the points.

• 1 year later...