Ke30 tyre width

MoeTell

Members dont see this ad

If you have rolled the lips 225 40 17s fit with heaps of room to spare. In a 17 a 245 would fit, the problem is that the wider you go the overall height increases so getting a low enough profile is impossible.  Note a 245 would probably not fit in a 15 because of the belly of the tyre. Not sure how a custom diff helps unless you are getting it made specifically for one pair of wheels, if you are, get the tyres fitted first to help with dummy up and leave some room on the inside for articulation. 

Hey mate.

Are you asking how wide is LEGAL by law or how wide will fit on the car?

How wide will fit the car is all dependant on how confident you are with a grinder.

How wide will fit LEGALLY... well ill explain that below.

Maxium width of wheel will depend on a myriad of things ie axle components used, track of the car, offset of wheel, weight of the car, etc.

Max track of a veihcle can  only be expended by 25mm per axle ie. 12.5mm per side.

IF you can fit a wheel with massive positve offset (clearing suspension and braking components) you will be able to run wider rubber.

HOWEVER, VSB14 REV NOV 2015, table LS2 states your maximum tyre size increase over standard.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_Nov_2015_v4.pdf

With you wanting to install an SR20, I assume that you want the car engineered, but then again, maybe you don't.

Feel free to WB for more info. Am going through all the engineering garbage atm so am well versed in the shit that is vehicle safety standards,

I can however tell you from an engineering legallity standpoint (reguarding standard axle ke corollas), the maxium size you can go is 195/XX r15 (but i am running a hilux diff so engineers discretion can be said as my diff is wider then stock rolla by 20mm)

Regards Mac

• Upvote 1

Il be running a custom diff but the fabricator needs my rims to measure in between and my tyre guys wants my diff in to see what rims fit. So as you can see I have a case of chicken or the egg. 

I want to go as wide as possible to get as much traction as possible but I won't be touching anything with a grinder the body of the car will remain stock. I will not be engineering the car. 

Just remember the traction comes from the tyre compound more than width. my mates rx7 was able to run 11.4sec on 185 tyres, cause they were toyo R888. My brothers 300hp silvia cannot put any power to the ground with his 255 tyres because they are china specials. 

Perhaps the way forward is to pick a wheel and tyre combo, and then build your diff to suit. 

Gunna say if you arent getting the car engineered then as wide as you want ie mini tubs, etc

Keep in mind however, wider is not always better. The reason that there is a width limit when it comes to engineering a car is because the weight exerted on the tyres matters on how much grip said tyres will ultimately have.

For example - If you have 2 cars with 225 wide tyres, one weighting 800kg and one weighting 1200kg, the heavier car is going to exert more pounds per square inch then the lighter car. And then if you go really stupid with width say 295 on a ke30, if you have a slightly grease driving surface, your car will tend to "skate" accross the surface.

A decent set of 195 rs3 hankooks or similar will very likely outgrip a 245 tyre of a cheaper brand too..

The weight issue is however the biggest issue here.

Regards Mac

Thanks Mac for the info I think I will go down the 225 road with really goodbrand tyre. On a side note what the hell are       xt 130 struts and where can I buy them apparently they are a direct bolt on coilover for the ke30. Any info will be greatly appreciated. 

Corona XT130 struts are a bolt-in on KE70s, replacing the 48mm diam strut with a 50mm, and giving a far wider range of shocks able to be fitted.

Also from Celicas.  However in KE70s they also need Corona/Celica steering arms as the bolt spacing between the steering arm and the strut base is different.  I'm not sure if they go straight into KE30s.  Then the Celica steering arm is longer so you get slower steering response and less lock..

Fitting them does give a bigger hub, disc and caliper, but that adds unsprung weight and affects the lightness of the front end.

On 18/08/2017 at 3:55 PM, MoeTell said:

Thanks Mac for the info I think I will go down the 225 road with really goodbrand tyre. On a side note what the hell are       xt 130 struts and where can I buy them apparently they are a direct bolt on coilover for the ke30. Any info will be greatly appreciated. 

Look at my build and youll see a xt130 corona modified setup.

Page 7 and the last page.

They are becoming extremely difficult to find and depending on what rear stud pattern you run, 5 stud hubs for the xt130 axle may be out of the question ( they are even harder to find)

If you plan on running a setup like mine, the strut and brake setup per side is about 25kg (due to each caliper being 7kg!)

Standard corolla maybe 10kg at most

Mac.

Edited by maccat01