Ke55 speedometer help

fgs

Hi all, I have recently bought a 1979 KE55 corolla, it has recently been changed to a 5 speed manual (K50) from a 3sp auto (K40?) and since then the speedometer/odemeter does not work.

It has the speedo cable but is missing the speedometer drive gear and key/ball in the gearbox. It is running the same diff but I'm unsure of ratio. I've think I've found the necessary parts list for transmission: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1979_TOYOTA_COROLLA_KE55R-EMRQ_3304.html and http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1979_TOYOTA_COROLLA_KE55R-EMRQ_3305.html

If anyone could shed a light, I don't really care if it's a little bit out as long as it works. cheers for reading! 

Edited by fgs

Members dont see this ad
3 hours ago, Banjo said:

Is the 5 speed GB from a KE55 or from a KE70, with the gearstick back further, which would require the tunnel hole to have been extended back a bit ?

Cheers Banjo

I believe it's from a KE55, it doesn't look like it's far back. Mission is trying to figure what tooth/worm combination. Something tells me it's 6x??

I've found this diagram of a k50 (ke35) and I've highlighted what I think I need...

IMG_4320.JPG

Hi Frank,

I was thinking you were probably missing the piece that inserts from the outside that has a nylon gear & drives off the worm gear you have highlighted.  Do you have the press in assembly, with nylon gear, into which the speedo cable is inserted ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I don't have the proper equipment to jack the car up but when the car was on the hoist at my mechanics, he said it was the actual gear inside the gearbox that was missing, didn't mention anything about the speedo cable assembly.

i could probably just pull the trigger on the highlighted parts and see how it goes?? What are your thoughts ?

cheers again Banjo!

Hi Frank,

You can probably determine whether the speedo cable gear is missing, without getting under the car.  Simply lift the bonnet. Grab hold of the speedo cable, & run you hand down it as far as it will go.  Give the cable a good shake & tug.  If it is "terminated" in the gearbox, then it is more than likely that it has the nylon gear assembly.  If the cable comes away or is free, then it is probably missing.  I doubt it is missing, as without the nylon gear assembly, there would be a serious oil leak, unless the resultant hole had been plugged somehow.  I think you mechanic would have checked this all out, & would have told you, if the nylon gear assembly was missing.  He would have to have removed it, & looked down the empty hole, to see that the worm gear inside had not been fitted at some time.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Frank,

Picture No: 2 is the end of the assembly with the nylon gear therein. If you undo that single 10mm bolt in the picture, the whole assembly will just slide out.  With the assembly removed, you should be able to look into the round hole, with a torch, & see the worm gear on the output shaft, that you have highlighted in the parts listing.

I sounds like someone has maybe previously forgotten to refit the worm gear, when the gearbox was reassembled previously.

Cheers Banjo.

What makes your mechanic think the internal drive gear is missing?  Pretty bizarre thing to happen during a rebuild, and that nylon gear doesn't look like it's been out of that box in a while so I can't imagine how he has worked that out.  Not sure if its the photo, but is the assembly in straight or at an angle?  It sits in there with an O ring to seal it.

If you undo the 10mm bolt and wriggle the assembly out with the driven nylon gear, you should be able to look in the hole and see if the drive gear is there.

Speedo issues are generally simpler issues such as the cable at either end isn't properly engaged, or is snapped.