Difference between 4ages?

SidewaysSmurf

Hey all,

I am interested in knowing what the difference is between all the 4AGE's.

I have a KE70 which I always planned to put a SR20DET into.. I do have a blown SR20 at home that was in my Nissan but the usual story I spun a bearing so I don't know if it is worth fixing that and putting it in the Corolla or putting a 4AGE in.

I am not educated on the types of 4AGE's, but I have just been offered by someone I work with a 16V Smallport 4AGE out of a front wheel drive corolla for $1000.
He may also have an ECU and Gearbox to go with it for abit extra.

Help educate me hahaha.

Thanks in advance. :)

Members dont see this ad

Here is a very brief start.

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/A-Series_Engine_FAQ

16 valve 4AGE's are pretty long in the tooth these days, but then a 20 valve isn't exactly young either.  There are various issues with fitting the various engines in a RWD format, 16 valve simpler, 20 valve a little more complicated.  The hardest bit is sourcing the various parts, and then wiring it up so it works properly.  Many people bodge the last bit and are left with a pig.  Bolting in the engine is the easy bit.

There is a mass of info on here.  Have a look at some of the ride threads, and once you have a good idea of which way you want to go, get more specific using the search function. 

I would have thought that $1000 for a smallport is probably double what I would want to pay for a complete engine with good compression, including the loom and ecu.  Make sure you get the coil/ignitor and the sensors with it.

Yeah, that's a lot of bucks really, there is still a lot to do with a FWD to make it work.

Is the gearbox a T50?

Have you worked out a list & a budget yet? The crossmember, pedal box, hydraulic clutch, driveshaft, radiator & electric fan, COR relay box, ..oh, and a motor and gearbox!

Steve just paid $1000 for a rusty AE71 today, and we discussed how he saw $1000 in it..  seems the pedal box is $250-$300 alone, the crossmember $150-$200, the T50 $350-$450, then the tacho dash and the flat-front panels it has been converted to made it well over that price.

I did mine last year, the wiring had me working hard, but it would be much easier now I've done one.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

The motor is often the cheapest part of a 4age conversion. 

The trouble these days is finding all of the ae71 bits you need to do the conversion in a ke70. 

T50gbox, pedal box, cross members, tailshaft to suit your chosen diff. Ae86drivingclub is the place to get all these bits. 

When I did my conversion like 6yrs ago I refreshed the top half of the engine and bought everything new that I could. Clutch, clutch master and slave cylinders, water pump, gaskets, seals. A custom made proper exhaust. In the end it was almost $3k but it gave great service for yrs. Do it once do it properly. 

Also I've seen multiple ae92 sx or csx cars for sale for like 600bucks lately. 1000bucks for just the engine is a bit steap I think. Small port 4age is a great choice but you do need to deal with the intake manifold. Cut and shut is the easiest but it's cast aluminium so not the easiest to weld. Nothing a good welder cant do though. 

A 4age ke70 is very fun. I miss mine:/

Edited by ke70dave

any old engine should be rebuilt.......  SR20, or 4AGE...  If the rod hasn't broken(SR20)... you might just be able to machine the crank and run oversize bearings.  Do you have a FR type transmission for the SR20?

A smallport is the best of the 16V 4AGE versions... to run it in your car you will need to do some custom work on the intake manifold (either a cut and shut, or a clip and flip - you need the T/B end reversed), OR run ITBs.  you will need to deal with the cooling system as previously mentioned.  

On 9/23/2017 at 6:13 AM, ke70dave said:

Also I've seen multiple ae92 sx or csx cars for sale for like 600bucks lately. 1000bucks for just the engine is a bit steap I think. Small port 4age is a great choice but you do need to deal with the intake manifold.

CSX won't get you a 4AGE though (unless converted), only SX and GTi will.