KE55 IDLING ISSUE

Hi Jasper .

She is SWEET  SWEET   SWEET.  Next you are going to tell us it was owned by a little olde lady that only drove it to church on Sunday mornings !

Enjoy !

Cheers Banjo.

P.S.  Get a black cable tie, & put it around the top of the vinyl boot around the gear stick.  The rubber boot below it, often gets a crack in it, when Rollas get that olde, & let a bit of fumes in, from under the car.  A good simple temporary fix.

Cheers Banjo  

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, ke70dave said:

Megasquirt does the lot. Fully programmable engine management system. 

The trick is that its so flexible that you basicallt need to build your efi and spark system from scratch.

Nah Megawrecks make good bin fill. There is a reason no tuner in Aus worth their weight will touch them. They have zero flexibility in crank and or cam triggers, all I see on other forums is poor fuel economy figures or exploded engines.

Edited by kickn5k

Just a quick update: I put a kit through the carby yesterday, changing all the gaskets, everything on the accelerator pump and the float valve. I also did the intake manifold gaskets of both sides for good measure. It is now running much better, and idling just fine! 

It does sound a little bit "clicky" so I'm now going to look at dizzy timing and valve clearances in the next couple of days. 

Thanks so much for all the help! 

Edited by Wingsforwheels

10 hours ago, kickn5k said:

Nah Megawrecks make good bin fill. There is a reason no tuner in Aus worth their weight will touch them. They have zero flexibility in crank and or cam triggers, all I see on other forums is poor fuel economy figures or exploded engines.

well, spill the beans, what other options has he got?

Like anything, if you are going to jump into something, do bit of research first.

Here is a good site with some views from both side of the fence requarding MS

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/whats-wrong-with-megasquirt/33731/page1/

Love to hear from anyone in Rollaclub, who has a MegaSquirt up & running on their Rolla.

Cheers Banjo 

Im about to put an Ms on my e30. Ive played with Ms over the yrs on tbe rotary. 

They are very much enthusiasits toy. Very versitile but you gotta be a nerd to figure it out. But that's half the fun;)

I was just looking at the haltech elite 550. $1295 Including a gineric wiring loom is pretty damn good.

quite impressive to have run on in a 4k. 

some good things can be determined from that...

u have good compression and good vaporisation at low rpm.

However before u go and fix the solenoid, first try to limit the run on. its a good indication of either nasty carbon buildup or a spark plug of too high a heat range, and someone once informed me that sometimes those pointy electrode spark plugs can even cause it, because the sharp pointy tips can get so hot they cannot push the heat back up the plug like theyre supposed to.

Another common cause can simply be modern e10 fuels which apparently cause dieseling.

Checjing hese things now will help u get a good safe head start on preignition. PREIGNITION not to be confused with normal GOOD OLD detonation.

Edited by rebuilder86

I was just looking at the haltech elite 550. $1295 Including a gineric wiring loom is pretty damn good.

Hi Dave,

I've always admired the Haltech gear.  Have always followed their video tutorials.  Mighty Car Mods have always used them, with good results.

I've got an olde Haltech E6K that I bought off a guy in Tassie several years ago.  It is robust, & still woks perfectly.  I just keep running out of old clunker PCs to run the DOS based software on.   They have also got a good foot hole in the USA market.  Hmmm  !  So many decisions.

Let us know how you go with the MS on your BMW E30.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Rebuilder, 

I'm glad to hear the run on is (kind of) a good sign! Although I didn't know that run on could (or should) be reduced without a solenoid.

I have recently changed plugs to ngk bpr5ey. Banjo mentioned on another thread that they are a common choice in 4kc motors. There is no carbon build up on the plugs, is there anywhere else I should be looking? 

I only fill her up with 98 octane, so I can rule out fuel as a factor. 

Hi Dave,

Got an email from Haltech today, announcing the release of the newest Elite 950.

http://www.haltech.com/elite-950-is-here/

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo