Anyone installed an Oil Cooler

rebuilder86

yeh ive been pondering over that too, but then i think, well the engine wasnt designed to be this loose, its just its age. 
however not everything will be this loose, the mains are probably fine, the big one is the conrod bearings.
This engine has an insanely loose conrod clearance figure, some docs state 0.1mm and some state 0.3!! look at this! that would be enough for me to wiggle it around with my hand in the sump and clearly feel it.
I suspect that is where my pressure is going, but they do this for a reason, they want oil to exit and spray out the side of the journal to the piston squirters to keep cylinder wall temps down.
It also allows for this is why 4ks go forever.

image.thumb.png.0177a794b32001571343bfedf36dc18c.png
note that our conrod journal is smaller than our main journal, so you would think the clearances would be smaller, but no, toyota are up to sumthing with this engine.
Normaly, as arule of thumb you add clearance for every increase in size of journal.
I guess rules of thumb shouldn't come in to play with engineering. theres obviously some reason for it.
I jstu want some god damn oil to run up the conrod and out to the piston skirts through the wrist pin like its supposed to. when hot it seems to be relying on oil being sprayed from the conrod cutout piston sprayers. so i get knock and slap all at once.

Members dont see this ad

I think my problem is the extent at which i wish to increase the running viscosity, pushing it up there to the extremes to solve a simple loose bearing issue.
Ive looked at the bearings, they seem perfect, i can't see any wear.
I cannot remove the crankshaft to have it machined, no one has the capability of doing that here. I simply don't trust them. 
Commiting lubrication fraud is a more sensible idea.

If youd like an idea as to whjy i think they arent capable...

I visited the most respected engineering and engine rebuilding workshop in cebu, and asked them to lightly hone out a motorcylce cylinder for me.
I left it with them.
They had a large expensive automated machine with feed speed and pressure settings, a serious piece of equpiment.

Came back and got it, and the bores were smooth as glass.
I was a bit upset, but in a panic, anda bit of anger, i quickyl paid them and left thinking i would go find a cylinder hone for my drill at a mechanic.
Spent the better half of a day runnign around the entire city, unabel to find a cylinder hone, other than one where the stones were worn down so much i wondered how someone would think it was sensible to use it to get to that point.

I ended up going back to the workshop i had it honed at, looked at the hone, and saw 2400 grit silicone carbide sandpaper wrapped around the hone.
And asked hem what they thought the purpose of honing was...

TO MAKE NICE AND SMOOTH SIR

I explained to them how wrong they were,  and his response was, NO SIR IN PHILIPPINES THIS HOW WE LIKE IT.

fucking idiots.

Edited by rebuilder86