Driveshaft Vibration

Members dont see this ad

id imagone there is a good reason for the 2 piece driveshaft.

however if an expert approved its replacement with a singke shaft, perhaps the yoke is simply missaligned ever so slightly on the mounting flange due to worn flange bolt holes.

i managed to repair a none repairable staked in u joint and balanced it on the vehicle using nuts n bolts welded to the holes on the cross bearing (u joit bearing) holes.

I cranked up the rear left axle stand under the rear,  started the engine, put it in first gear got under the car and used a marker pen held firmly in my hand against the ground and touched it lightly against the rotating driveshaft. it left marks on the side which needed to be pushed away.

u can use this marker pen method just to see if there is a particular direction your shaft is vibrating to. if it consistently indicates movement only in one direction, (marker only marks one side), the u joints are defective or missaligned and need to be replaced or the flange is missaligned.

if the marks are ranm, then something is loose.

or have a jungle mechanic like me have a go haha.

I had a T-series yoke welded onto the KE70 shaft by a driveshaft shop & it vibrated. I took it back a couple of times and he even showed me it on the machine being balanced. After a year or two I was in Melb and gave it to Knox driveshafts, who said it was a some thou eccentric. In the end they cut it off and re-made it. So yours may not be as good as it should be, but in a way that is difficult to measure with a felt-tip pen!

Another trick as per Rebuilder's is to put a circlip around the driveshaft at the rear end and spend ages driving around seeing how bad the vibration is. Rotate the circlip 90deg each time and move it along the shaft. Sometimes it will get worse, and sometimes better. You might minimise it that way.

Possibly the pinion bearings are bad enough to vibrate, or the gearbox output bush, but I doubt it.

i would put the old 2 piece tail shaft back in.

The single piece is designed for a gearbox with 2 main shaft bearings. like a T50

The 2 piece is designed for a gearbox with one main shaft bearing, hence the center bearing, carry's some of the load. like a K series.

BUT, there is always a but, some japan KE70's had single piece shafts and a K series box.

Also it could be the company who balance the shaft doesn't run the balancer flat out as well,  i would only use Hardy Spicer in Brisbane, they know what our shafts go through. :D

Edited by TRD ke70
  • Like 1