Cheap 4k's, maybe not anymore........................

Clapped out

Not sure if anyone here still screws around with 4k's in general, is it me or are they drying up? Considering the amount of corollas that used to be on our roads, plus in the vans, and engines imported into the country, i'm finding it difficult to locate almost anything in any condition. I realise they're pushing 40 years old, What are your thoughts? Does anyone know of a mysterious mountain of them that i'm yet to discover? ha ha!

Cheers!

Members dont see this ad

Actually, I accidentally came across a site yesterday, which lists the history of Toyota engines in Russia; and basically says, that even the poorest Toyota designed engine, was better than any of the home grown local Russia offerings. 

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/03-08-16_engine_eng.htm

I was tickled to read what the article had to say about the K series engine.

image.png.7bc386b6a6a33a05503e3153757046b8.png

I was also staggered to read that K Series engines were used in Russia right up to 2013, which is only 4 years ago.

I then quickly realised that they were talking about the 5K & 7K engines, which were apparently used in commercial Toyotas  like the LiteAce & TownAce.

Maybe "Clapped Out" would like a holiday in Russia, & could  bring  back a couple of 5Ks, as excess baggage !

I love the line "Extremely reliable & archaic design".

To my knowledge, & from what I have read, the 5K was still used by Toyota, here in Australia, for their petrol forklifts, up until about the year 2000.

Someone who works for Toyota may be able to verify this; but I was told recently, you can still buy a 5K short engine from Toyota here in Australia, off the shelf, as a replacement spare part.

I recently posted my interest in the 2NZ-FE series, fitted to the Starlets/Echo/Yaris Toyotas. This engine is amazing. Great design, light, reliable, economical, long life etc. etc.

I was looking at it, as a possible replacement to the K Series, when they are gone or banned, by legislation. 

They are the same 1.3L as the 4K, but pump out twice the HP, in standard form.  The 1NZ-FE fitted to the Sportivo models, is a 1.5 litre in same basic block.

Unfortunately, it is an east west engine, & could be a pain to mount into a KE Series Rolla.

However, I'm prepared to look at it, so if any one knows of a cheap, wrecked, or broken 1NZ-FE engine floating around in Brisbane, or nearby, I'm interested.

P.S.  My daughter's 2004 Echo has the 2NZ-FE in it, but I don't think she would be too happy about me whipping it out for a week or so, so I can strip & see if it is possible to add different engine mounts to it somehow.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

2 hours ago, Banjo said:

I recently posted my interest in the 1NZ-FE series, fitted to the Starlets/Echo/Yaris Toyotas. This engine is amazing. Great design, light, reliable, economical, long life etc. etc.

I was looking at it, as a possible replacement to the K Series, when they are gone or banned, by legislation. 

They are the same 1.3L as the 4K, but pump out twice the HP, in standard form.  The 2NZ-FE fitted to the Sportivo models, is a 1.8 litre in same basic block.

Unfortunately, it is an east west engine, & could be a pain to mount into a KE Series Rolla.

However, I'm prepared to look at it, so if any one knows of a cheap, wrecked, or broken 1NZ-FE engine floating around in Brisbane, or nearby, I'm interested.

P.S.  My daughter's 2004 Echo has the 1NZ-FE in it, but I don't think she would be too happy about me whipping it out for a week or so, so I can strip & see if it is possible to add different engine mounts to it somehow.

Cheers Banjo

1NZ is 1.5L, 2NZ is 1.3L.

3 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

1NZ is 1.5L, 2NZ is 1.3L.

Thanks Ian,

Fixed that above.  Got them around the wrong way !  I just went & checked my original post, where I got it around the right way.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I’ve noticed it harder to find good running complete engines.. Most I see forsale lately are stuffed and basically buying it for accessories, running complete motors missing a heap of bits or just heads etc which are usually no good anyway. 

I got got a complete townace with less than 90000k and the motor has receipts for a ton of work for $400 which I was happy with. 

Apart from that my sprinter came with a 4k pulled from a ke70 in 1991 and had 51000km on it! But spent the last 3 months chasing all the missing bits to install it

here in the philippines is a nation full of every single used toyota 4k which ever ended up at a recycler or wrecker anywhere on earth.

they are used in the rebirthing of public transport vehicles and in owner maintained flindstone type jeeps, like mine.

u can find one for sale here, and have someone like myself have it put in what's called a balikbayan box and send it over on a shipping container. look up balikbayan box, best to use DHL and find something in manilla.

a place to start is olx.

here is a prume example at 15 tbousand pesos.

thats 380 aud for an engine and gearbox.

https://www.olx.ph/item/4k-engine-with-transmission-ID89EdZ.html?h=63186bfdda