Fuel gauge problem

Max666

Members dont see this ad

Sometimes..  How's the red light performance?

The resistor on the tank sensor might be pretty crappy, I've seen some horrible ones. Its easy to get out, just a handful of phillips screws in the boot and it lifts right out.  Clean it up and have a look at it.  The variable resistor arm can be very carefully re-bent to make a better connection.

Failing that, there's a chance of a bad wiring connection at the plug you'll have to pull off, and after that you're left with the wiring at the gauge end.

Mine never shows full, and the red light comes on before it reaches "E" so its range is small, but it is reliably constant.

Good advice from Altezzaclub there Max.  I've saved a few senders by taking it out of the tank & bending the arms a bit. When they get that olde, and have been up & down so many times between empty & full, the pivots also wear, but nothing much you can do about that.  As for not reading Full, then read my post regarding that exact issue.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/73224-that-pesky-little-guage-voltage-regulator/

Cheers Banjo

Had all kinds of the same issues in the ae86 until I just bought a new sender and put it in.  Now it works great, it wasnt the plug in my case since they get touched so infrequently, it was the corroded looking sender that had at some stage had its metal casing dissolve or fall off.  The pivot was worn and the contacts were poor and not always touching.