Ke10 Strut Insert - URGENT

rolln69

Hi,

Before I begin and people say to look at the ke10 suspension thread I want to say that I already have. I am in the process of lowering my ke10. I will be removing the transverse leaf. I am removing the ke10 top hats and swapping them with ke20 ones. I will also be putting in ke20 Lovell super-low springs. My question is...has anybody done this? I would also like to know if anybody has successfully changed ke10 strut inserts? Aw11 seem to be the go....

Members dont see this ad
50 minutes ago, parrot said:

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lowering_KE1x_Front_using_KE2x_parts

There are supposedly some thinner AW11 inserts, at least in the interweb talk. 

Not sure anyone has found them though.

I have some KE1x inserts if you need measurements

Yep don't work and all the suppliers only have listings for the bigger diameter ones. I really do mean all suppliers.

I'm doing a "de-conversion" of my ke11 from ke20 struts over the next couple of weeks, can take some photos if you need. I would seriously recommend getting a front swaybar though, they are still pretty average without one.

Oh everything now seems to point to mk1 golf inserts working but I can'tcinfirm yet.

Parrot, measurements would be amazing!! 

Kickn5k - same deal, photos would be super helpful or any other info you can provide. I want to run a sway bar but have been a tad put off after hearing about rubbing on brake pads, particularly ke20 ones. With this said, what is the part number of the one ke10s need? I wouldn't mind looking at the length etc. 

Thanks again for your input guys!

Ps. so just to confirm, ke20 inserts have proven to be a hit and a miss on this forum?

I’ll try and get measurements for you tomorrow. The sway bar issue isn’t an issue if you let Todd Selby know you need the sway bar for a disc brake front and get him to make it to slightly different measurements

Scroll down to the end of the thread. I think it was Tommyske11 who gave me these pics

I have one of the real early signature bars they made, I've got zero idea what people complain about em. Honestly only touches them at full steering lock, I hardly get near full lock, if I do it's only at carpark speeds and one pump and the brakes are back to normal. 

Ke20 inserts also work BUT getting anything with sport valving is a pain to find these days.

Edited by kickn5k

Remember that king springs will make any spring you like for about $200/pair. Specify length, rate and internal diamter at both ends and they will make them for you. I did this years ago with coil over springs for the ke70. So don't feel like you are locked into ke20 lovel springs or whatever. 

Depends how serious you wanna get, but whats to stop you welding a bigger strut tube onto the ke20 base? then you can fit any shock you like that fits an ae86 or whatever, all kinds of options. 

Camerondownunder had a pair of custom made springs made for the ke20 into Ke15 strut modification.  He didn’t get round to using them, and sold them to me.  Currently sitting on the shelf till I get some time (kids move out....)

ill see if I can find the ad and if there was any detail, but failing that you could PM him and ask 

Was as easier to find than expected

Custom Made front coil springs

Had these made for my KE1X suspension up grade. I ran stock struts with either stock/RX7/KP61/TRD shocks/KE1X konis with KE20 top hats and my custom made camber tops with no front leaf spring and a sway bar. Custom made wound to 245mm length at 4.5kg. Wound with KE10 bottom and KE20 top to suit KE20 top spring mounts. must have for handeling up grade. Cost heaps sell cheap $80

post-1811-0-17711000-1421303906_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-80206900-1421303920_thumb.jpgI

Measurement of a NOS Tokico strut cartridge S1002 

Standard fitment

Body length.          430mm

Base body to top piston on maximum compression   495mm

Base body to top piston on maximum extension.  685mm

Piston stroke   190mm

Body diameter   38mm

I've just got one the ke20 struts out and apart, they are wet legs too. I will strip one and take photos tomorrow for you.

So I too need inserts. I should have have an answer on what is available tomorrow.

Cheers for the measurement Parrot, will give me something to start with.

You boys are absolute legends. I've got the ke20 top hats and ke20 lovell springs already sitting there so it's a matter of fitting it up and seeing what to do with that shock. I'm not very familiar with suspension territory but Parrot are you saying that the  stock/RX7/KP61/TRD shock is shorter than the ke10? 

Thanks kikn5k - it seems like you're all a lot more cluey than I am here. I've heard that in theory ke20 inserts work and are shorter but it doesn't sit in right

On 14/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, parrot said:

Custom Made front coil springs

Had these made for my KE1X suspension up grade. I ran stock struts with either stock/RX7/KP61/TRD shocks/KE1X konis with KE20 top hats and my custom made camber tops with no front leaf spring and a sway bar. Custom made wound to 245mm length at 4.5kg. Wound with KE10 bottom and KE20 top to suit KE20 top spring mounts. must have for handeling up grade. Cost heaps sell cheap $80

No, that is what Cameron said in his ad for the springs.  He is pretty clued up though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Stu is looking into the options now.  

The main problem of course is finding something with the right diameter.  It's easy enough to space something up.  Spacing down is a little harder unless you know someone with a lathe.  Essentially you need to find something that will fit into the strut tube, with sufficient stroke.  If you are going sporty, you won't need as much stroke, but you need to match it to your spring compression range so you don't bottom your inserts out and wreck them.  And in a model that can be obtained in a sport or adjustable option.

Shouldn't be too hard.....